I was told that due to the bigger screen on the new iPhone, my apps/games won't work.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Xandros, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Xandros macrumors regular

Essentially I was talking to some work colleagues the other day and mentioned how I have never had an iPhone, only a 4th generation iPod touch, and that I currently have a few apps and games on the touch that I'd probably transfer to the new iPhone when I get one.

To which, one "know-it-all" colleague stated that because of the bigger screen on the new iPhone, most of my apps and games will need to be updated to work with it, and that of those that do get updated I will probably have to pay for them again.

Is that true?

2. Momo9204 macrumors newbie

The games and the app makers must have updates. Or is it your own ??

3. Tom8 macrumors 6502a

Wrong, all your apps should work, but they will need to be updated to take advantage of the extra height the iPhone will offer. Also, no you won't have to pay for them again. You colleague is a moron

4. MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

5. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Nope.

For starters, nobody can say anything until it's all announced and official.

Secondly, while apps would need to be updated if they want to take full advantage of the new resolution, you won't have to pay for the updates. As in the past when Retina and the iPads offered better resolution, the updates will be free and any app that doesn't offer one will still work anyway (likely through a form of pillarboxing on the new phone).

6. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Hah. No. That would be a pr disaster of epic proportions.

7. Xandros thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the responses. I did wonder if he was blasting hot putrid air out of his rectal passage, this pretty much confirms it.

8. cynics macrumors G3

Once games are updated they will look better on the new iPhone because the extra screen will display extra info. But they will still work, it does kind of suck for current model owners that enjoy gaming on their phones though....

http://m.youtube.com/?reload=3&rdm=m9xtks4rk#/results?q=first iphone 5 game

Kind of disappointing but I don't really game anyway on my phone....

9. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

Absolutely not true. All apps will work with the new phone. I doubt many, if any, app makers will charge to upgrade to better optimized versions of the apps. Your coworker is full of ****.

10. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

Has anyone ever paid for an iPhone app update? I've never had to.

11. johnc22 macrumors 6502

No but when they want to milk you for more money they release a "new" app and stop updating the original.

12. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

Look up, the word "gullible" is written on your ceiling.

13. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

Even that has only happened with two of my apps. In one case it was legitimate for the developer to charge again. In the other case it wasn't, so I didn't. This is over the course of 4 years on iOS.

14. mtnDewFTW macrumors 6502a

Your colleague could not be any more wrong. There is no way Apple will toss like 600k+ apps out the window to release a new device. The app ecosysem is what makes iOS so popular and still so desired. The apps will be supported, just like they were when the iPad first came out. You will not have to pay extra.

Here's why: When we had the 3GS, the resolution of all apps was far lower than it is now. Then the iPhone 4 came out, with it's retina display. All apps were then updates to work with the new resolutions and the new screen. However, Apple never dropped the support for apps that weren't rolling out updates right away. Nor did anyone pay extra. Because the app was still made for the iPhone. Not the iPad or anything else. And once you buy an app for the iPhone, all the updates are free.

15. dazlicous macrumors 6502a

dazlicous

I always though when the new iphone comes out apps might have a black border until they are updated. Only thing what might not work at first is with ios 6 but not 100% on that

16. uudesk macrumors newbie

Hah. No. That would be a pr disaster of epic proportions.

17. batting1000 macrumors 604

Everything will work but they'll need to be updated to take advantage of the larger screen.