I welcome 'S Voice'

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DanBurns91, May 4, 2012.

1. DanBurns91 macrumors regular

Last night the Samsung galaxy S3 got announced in London at a conference, along with the S3 came S voice, which is Samsung's 'Siri' like technology (made with Vlingo) build into the S3, which as an avid Apple user I'm very happy about! You might ask why? Well, this only means voice recognition war! The GS3 can take a picture and open apps with S voice, whereas Siri is sort of limited at the moment, thus meaning Apple (hopefully) will have an answer for S voice and i do hope as a UK user they bring location services to us!

I for one can't wait to see Apples reply!

Does anybody else have an opinion on this?

2. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

Apple says Siri is still beta, so I hope they are working towards great improvements.

3. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

If you jailbreak your phone there is so much you can do with Siri! Open apps, toggle wifi etc. Get scores for matches and so much more. This means it's possible and hopefully Apple will implement it whenever Siri is no longer in beta (anyone know when that might be?)

4. DanBurns91 thread starter macrumors regular

When my 4S got replaced it came with 5.1 on it so jailbreaking isnt possible, as of right now anyway.
    I don't think anybody knows when Siri will come out of beta apart from Tim cook and his team, although with Samsung's attempt at voice recognition, im hoping its not too far away!

5. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    I agree that competition in this area is long overdue.

Twenty to thirty years ago we were all sure that by now we'd have natural voice assistants built into everything.

6. b24pgg macrumors 65816

Google Voice Actions existed two years before Siri, and voice commands on phones existed years prior to that.

The "competition" you think S Voice will bring has actually been around for quite a while.

7. pirarre macrumors 6502

Well as a long Android user and supporter, I can tell you that at least in my opinion, I don't think S-Voice will be as good as Siri.

Sure it can open apps and all these other things but I guarantee you it's not gonna be no where as accurate. They tried with Vlingo on the Galaxy S 2 and that was horrible.

Don't get me wrong, Siri is not perfect in no means, but it sure is a lot better than any voice app on Android at the current moment.

8. praktical macrumors regular

praktical

S Voice

I agree with this...I remember Assistant for iPhone which in my opinion is the platform for Siri considering the voice commands and responses.

9. LaunchpadBS macrumors 6502a

Hmmm and in the app stakes Siri won over Vlingo! I remember having both apps 2 years ago and Vlingo was primitive at best.

10. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

That is true. But S Voice is the first "true" competition for Siri, most others have had VERY limited function, been too unreliable or just weren't used/talked about enough.

11. cynics macrumors G4

I've found google voice to be near equivalent in functionality and way more accurate then Siri. Siri makes silly guesses and assumptions. Example say "true form" and see what happens.

12. b24pgg macrumors 65816

This is patently false.

Google Voice Actions and Siri are nearly identical in the functions they can perform.

If anything, Siri was the first "true" competition for Google Voice Actions.
    x2

13. SenseiPhone macrumors regular

Siri is more popular by now, while Google's Voice is just known among geeks...

14. b24pgg macrumors 65816

Source? Android has 51% of smartphone market share; The iPhone has 31%.

[​IMG]

15. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

The more you read into the features, the more obvious that the SIII is in many ways a more significant upgrade from the SII than the upgrade from the 4 to 4S.

16. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Guys getting into pissing contests is a waste of time.

With voice technology the key is to understand what makes each technology work. Where it is strong and where it is weak.

The accurately compare you have to see the whole iceberg not just the tip.

17. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Does s-voice require an Internet connection for everything like Siri does? If it doesn't, it's already better IMO. It's utterlly retarded that I cannot voice dial one of my contacts if the network is busy.

18. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

http://youtu.be/61I97JKORDE

Sigh another failed demo of voice recognition tech.

Phones have been able to provide an answer based on a query for a long time. Every time I see a demo the person rattles off a bunch of disparate queries and gets answers.

Siri is more ambitious. These demos fail for one reason. It's not how people correspond.

If i'm talking with someone I may ask them question or a series of questions but the important part is that the answer they give me may influence the questions I ask later so the "context" of our discussion is important. There's a thread that is maintained in this questioning.

When I demo Siri to someone I start with

"What's the weather like in Alaska?" I'll get my answer.

The next step is important:

My next query is

"What about Miami?"

This shows that Siri is still threading the conversation and knows we're still talking about weather. Finally I ask

"Will I need a rain coat in New York?"

This is important to people as long as they know that Siri's goal isn't just to provide answers but the smarts that it offers are designed to understand context and conversational threads.

19. nfl46 macrumors 603

Pretty obvious Apple was waiting until iOS 6 to improve Siri and give it the ability to open any App on your iPhone. We all know Apple does stuff like this, just like they waited to give us Copy and Paste. They are going to make this one of the 10 best features in iOS 6, with Maps being the biggest feature.

20. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

The problem with opening apps is this.

Some people have 30 apps on their phone and some have 100. Some people have multiple apps that have "Task" in the name or "HD". I'm still wondering about the feasibility of launching apps with voice commands.

I'd certainly love to be able to turn Wifi, Bluetooth and a few other system components.

I also think that iOS 6 will deliver an API for more (beyond Yelp and WA) 3rd parties to join.

Siri is not voice technology. It is the underlaying infrastructure for parsing natural language and semantics and then funneling this information to relevant resources.

Siri started out using Vlingo and then moved on to Nuance for the front end and today it remains extensible. If a better speech to text front end came by Siri could support it.

21. CausticPuppy macrumors 65816

What Siri adds is the ability to maintain context in a "conversation." Yes, voice recognition has been around forever but Siri adds a new layer of AI.

A commonly used example being:

What's the weather like in Atlanta?

Siri: It's gonna RAIN

How about Tampa?

Siri: You gonna get FRIED (Siri understands that the context is still the weather).

(obviously not Siri's real responses but maybe one day Siri will have plug-in "personalities")

22. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

And my experience has been EXACTLY the opposite. I had high hopes for Siri when I got my 4S on launch day, but I've been completely disappointed. The text-to-speech is awful (it just sits there with the 3 little dots and then stops trying). She barely ever works for me, and I don't live in a congested area (a mid-sized city in the south).

Whereas, the voice-to-text using Vlingo on my SII is darn near flawless. It's fast, accurate, and almost never gets what I'm saying wrong. I've been much more impressed with it than Siri.

YMMV and this is only my experience, but Siri has a LONG way to go to be useful to me. I'm also tired of the built-in excuse "but Siri is still in beta". First, it's unlike Apple to release a beta of anything for mass consumption, but IMO they did it because they couldn't get the next iPhone ready in time and it's become their big selling point on the 4S. Second, just how long do they expect people to buy the "beta" tag? C'mon...get it right or don't release it.

23. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Mac OS X has voice assistant built in for years.

24. CausticPuppy macrumors 65816

Ironic criticism considering GMail was "beta" for 5 years. :)

25. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

When Apple says Beta for Siri is really does mean that. There's no way to get voice technology down without having access to a huge variety of voice samples. Someone in Los Angles is going to sound different than someone from Manhattan NY saying the same phrase. Also there are infrastructure needs to assess. Your voice is sent out to a server that processes the voice into text and then delivers on the request.

Really we as consumers don't have to give a flying rats arse about the difficulty it just needs to work if i'm going to use it. Luckily I think in June we'll hear about significant updates to Siri.