Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kobra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
I have a iPad mini 6 on order that will be delivered tomorrow. My intention is to use it as a compliment to my 2021 iPad Pro 12.9. Main use will be reading books, browsing reddit and other forums and as a notepad ( MS OneNote) at work. I’ve used minis before (gen 1, 2 and 4).

However, when I dropped by the store today to get a first hand look of it, I started to question my purchase. First reaction: “my gosh how small it is!” It‘s much smaller than how I remembered my old iPad minis. I even had the chance to try one with OneNote and the Apple pencil. Just a quick test, but still a test. I guess I’ve been to accustomed to the wonderful screen on the 12.9 Pro. Also, it’s a pity the mini 6 don‘t have a 120 mhz screen.

Fortunately the reseller where I bought it have a 90 day full refund policy, so I will have plenty of time to decide if its for me or not. If I only find it useful to read books on I’d rather get a 8” e-ink device instead. The mini is to expensive not to use to it‘s maximum.

On a side note, I tried the new iPhone Pro’s as well. Wow! that screen ? I’m really happy that my employer let me switch phone every year ?

Reactions: Yr Blues

Macintosh101

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2017
I’ve got a purple mini arriving tomorrow, but also had the chance to check out the new minis in an Apple store this afternoon when I was picking up a 13 Pro.

Purple was (for me) the nicest colour. The nicest folio was the dark cherry I felt.

However the screen of the mini was a disappointment. I’m spoilt with the Promotion displays of my iPad Pro and now the new iPhone Pro, and the lag in the animations and scrolling on the new Mini was very noticeable and off-putting. I would have happily paid more for a Promotion version. I’ll see if I get used to it though, because I love the form factor.

Lexio

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2015
Poland, Kraków
However the screen of the mini was a disappointment. I’m spoilt with the Promotion displays of my iPad Pro and now the new iPhone Pro, and the lag in the animations and scrolling on the new Mini was very noticeable and off-putting.
same here. I really wanted a smaller, non pro iPad (I use the iPad mainly for reading, internet scrolling etc.) but the display of the new mini (without ProMotion) is a no go for me. I’ll stick with my Pro 2018 till a new iPad Air come‘s with ProMotion (the current available also does not support this, and after 3 years of usage of a Pro iPad I know for 100% that I don’t need a Pro iPad so I have to wait for an Air with Pro Motion).

Reactions: turbineseaplane

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
same here. I really wanted a smaller, non pro iPad (I use the iPad mainly for reading, internet scrolling etc.) but the display of the new mini (without ProMotion) is a no go for me. I’ll stick with my Pro 2018 till a new iPad Air come‘s with ProMotion (the current available also does not support this, and after 3 years of usage of a Pro iPad I know for 100% that I don’t need a Pro iPad so I have to wait for an Air with Pro Motion).
If the display is better than my mini 2, I'll be a happy camper.

Reactions: srj and AreYouIn?

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Promotion a gamer thing mostly? I never noticed it. Maybe scrolling, but that's also a cpu thing.

Have you never used it?

It's unmistakable -- the smoothness of interacting with is amazing.

Really really hard to go back.
I've only avoided it by not having any devices with it -- or I'd notice it constantly

mark34

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2006
I have a Mini 5 and the latest iPad Pro 12.9". I go back and forth between them all the time. The Mini LED screen in the Pro is obviously far superior to the Mini for watching content, but I really don't appreciate the 120 mhz at all. I go back and forth and don't even think about the difference. I am always surprised how important people find the pro motion screen. Perhaps it is my use case, but I would not worry about it all with respect to the new Mini. It will be fine without it.

Qu1ckset

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2013
Toronto, Canada
I have a Mini 5 and the latest iPad Pro 12.9". I go back and forth between them all the time. The Mini LED screen in the Pro is obviously far superior to the Mini for watching content, but I really don't appreciate the 120 mhz at all. I go back and forth and don't even think about the difference. I am always surprised how important people find the pro motion screen. Perhaps it is my use case, but I would not worry about it all with respect to the new Mini. It will be fine without it.
It’s weird, Going from 120hz+ on PC and then back to a 60hz Monitor/Laptop was horrible and a deal breaker for me, but for phones and tablets 60hz doesn’t bother me what so ever, like I can see and appreciate the difference on phones and tablets but it is in no way a dealbreaker!

just trying to get used to typing on a tablet again is fun after not having one for so long and dailying a 12 Mini haha

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.