I will join the list of complainers on the 2016 mbp. Not really but still

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iamnotme, Nov 23, 2016.

1. iamnotme macrumors regular

iamnotme

So after 2 weeks of pretty much non stop use of my base 2016 mbp, I really only have 2 complaints. It is so much more flimsy than the old one. The bottom plate feels like it's half the thickness of the old one. You can even see it flex when you press on it. Sure.... Don't press on it you might say. The old one felt pretty much like a tank and solid to the touch. This one doesn't feel like a high end laptop really. It's still well built but they are so obsess about thickness that it's a bit too much I think. I would have been perfectly happy with the thickness of the old one too. I thick the thinner chassis also amplifies the sound the keyboard it is pretty loud which isn't really a problem, just a thing.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Wow, that's one aspect that I was not expecting

What's your second complaint? I only see the issue with it feeling flimsy?

3. iamnotme thread starter macrumors regular

iamnotme

The loud keyboard.....Like I said, it's not really a complaint just a thing but some people might find it disturbing.

I do like the machine and at least the baseline with the 15W CPU has really outstanding battery life. Never measured it but feels significantly higher than my 2014 did.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Oh, I missed that :)

Yeah, that's been a consistent critique, and one that I think I'd have an issue with, given my usage requirements.

5. PhoneI macrumors 65816

I see no flex on the bottom of my MacBook. But maybe I'm doing it wrong.

6. Rkuda macrumors regular

Rkuda

My 15" feels like a tank. It doesn't visually depress or creak, click, or make any other sound or movement when opening, closing, picking it up etc. Maybe there is something wrong with your model?

The new laptop is more solid than my 2013 13" MBP was.

7. Mcdevidr macrumors 6502a

Sorry but I don't want a thicker heavier laptop, especially in the model replacing the air. I can't wait until they can fit this package in a 2lb laptop the thickness of the MacBook. The old 13 was a clunker in my opinion.

8. leman macrumors 604

My 2015 rMBP bottom flexes slightly if pressed on :)

9. Pootmatoot macrumors 6502a

Yes, it makes my old Air feel solid as a tank.

10. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

I actually like the sound of the keyboard. Let's me know I hit the key when looking up and it's not that loud. Maybe I have old ears. Lol

The flex I don't notice but it's a big thin computer so it's going to flex. You folks want thin well Apple gave it to you. I would have been happy with the older build as I'm mostly in my office with it.

11. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I love the keyboard, too.

And while I can feel that the bottom plate is a little thinner (sounds slightly hollow), I haven't noticed it flexing at all, though I've got the 13" model so perhaps the 15" has more flex to it given its size.