Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iHavequestions

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2011
What a nightmare!
I don't quite remember what happened, but I wiped my mac at some point. And some sequence of events happened that I'm blurry about. But now when I open iTunes, I see most music files have exclamation points. I do have almost all my music files backed up on an external hard drive. Some questions:

• How do I do a sweep and find all my files that has the exclamation point in mass?
  • I tried to drag and drop from my external hard drive but given that I have 30K of music, it's taking forever... If I finally recreate my files from scratch, how do I retain all my previous ratings/info etc associated with each song?
  • If I have both the exclamation point files as well as the files I dragged over, how do I delete the ones with the exclamation point in mass?
  • Is this even the right approach for my situation? Is there a better way than doing this nightmarish approach?

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Do a restore of the entire file system from the last Time Machine or CCC backup.

I hope you have a TM or CCC backup of the system.

iHavequestions

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2011
Do a restore of the entire file system from the last Time Machine or CCC backup.

I hope you have a TM or CCC backup of the system.

I can't seem to load the earlier ones from my external hard drive. Any step by step instructions on how to load the ones saved elsewhere?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.