I wish the coming new iPhone will have at least 4.1' screen

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Henry Li, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Henry Li macrumors member

I am an apple fan boy, but recently I have been very disappointed with the delay of the launch of the new iPhone, since I was expecting it would be launched in the summer. Frankly speaking, many of my friends have already switch to Galaxy S3 from iPhone 4s, because they dislike the small 3.5' screen on their 4s and they cannot wait for the new iPhone anymore, although they have been an apple fan.

I just want to say Apple really thinks different in market strategy. This company is making their customers of loyalty sad. I am going to wait for the new iPhone. But, if the screen of the new iPhone is not bigger than 4 inch, which is already minimum, I am going to switch to android for sure. I am sure apple fans boys of wisdom will understand what I mean and how I feel.

2. supermarius macrumors newbie

enjoy! way too many OTHER reasons to stick w/ iOS and iPhone

3. daechi macrumors member

I've been waiting to buy my first smartphone as well. Been a loyal apple user since the early 80s but I am disappointed with their handling of the iphone design and evolving IOS. I think the taller 4S is one of the worst designs I've seen from Apple. I hope it's not what they are really releasing.

I'm going to wait and see what they announce but if the taller design is it, I will buy the S3. My gf has a 4S and I find myself mostly surfing the web on it and the small screen size is just terrible for my eyes and also navigating on the screen. It's basically more of a nuisance to use than an enjoyment.

I went to the Samsung store and tried the S3 LTE and it was pretty nice. Fast, fluid, and the large screen made viewing and navigating websites bearable on a smartphone.

4. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

There is no delay. Apple releases normally once a year and it hasn't been a year yet. Its not going to be over 4 inches either. So, have fun with your new Android phone. :D

5. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

There has been absolutely no delay in the launch of the upcoming iPhone; your expectation does not dictate reality.

Move on to the Galaxy and enjoy your large screen with your friends.
    Crisis solved.

6. abz1981 macrumors 65816

I agree with other posters go and get a s3 if you want a bigger screen. I am happy with my iPhone 4s and hope they don't make it any bigger than the size it currently is.

7. bollyboy macrumors regular

I love the current size also, however i would prefer some cosmetic changes and nice spec upgrades on the next model to give me an excuse to upgrade.

If the next one is as leaked with stretched screen i would just stick the 4S as i'm more than happy with it.

My friend does have the S3 but it's just like carrying around netbook as i think there just toooooo big.

8. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

So your expectations = a delay? Interesting way to look at it.

9. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

I think the new one is 4.065 inches. But of course actual display area will be about 4 inches.

10. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

a 4.1" screen? really? 4.1"? People are never happy. Apple could give you a 4.7" screen and you would say, "Give me a 4.75" screen or no deal!"

11. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I was kinda thinking the same thing. A 4" vs a 4.1" is irrelevant.

12. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

As others have stated already, the delay you find disappointing was your perception only
    It was almost universally accepted that the next iPhone would have a Sept/Oct release, not a summer release

As far as loyal customers being sad and switching, I am sure there are some
    But I don't think there is a mass exodus of iPhone users at apocalyptic proportions
    There are some who are heading towards Android/Samsung for a variety of reasons
    But there are many who are coming to the iPhone in the other direction as well

Choice is good my friend, be thankful we have many

13. aced411 macrumors 6502

You are sure to get some grief here. I used to think big screens were absurd and preferred the compact size of the iPhone. A few months back on a whim I bought an unlocked Galaxy Nexus from Google. The screen is big and stunning, and the phone is so light and slim it doesn't feel bulky at all. Anyway I tried to go back to my iPhone for convenience purposes but the screen is just too damn small so I sold it and kept my nexus. You don't get the plus of a big screen untiI you get accustomed to it. I agree, if the iPhone 5 is bigger than 4 inch I'll get one otherwise I'm an android convert for the unforeseeable future

14. Henry Li thread starter macrumors member

Okay. It's the issue of relativity. It depends on the reference point that you have. In the past, three generations of iPhones starting from 3G to 4 were announced in June. Considering 4s which was announced in October last year, I could say the universal fact is that it is the second delay that apple have made in the launch of the new iPhone.

15. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You could say that, but you would be in a very tiny and minute minority
    It was almost universally accepted that the release would be in the Fall
    Only a few rabid fans wished/hoped for a return to the former schedule
    But the vast majority (critics and fans alike) went into this cycle understanding there would be a Fall release

16. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

There are lots of great phones out there OP. If the iPhone does not meet your needs, then clearly you should get one that does. Enjoy.:D

17. Henry Li thread starter macrumors member

I agree with you, and I am sure your opinion represents a majority of loyal apple users who did not say it here. In fact, it is very clear that nowadays a smartphone should have a screen at least larger than 4 inch, which is a minimum. In my opinion, how large the screen of the new iPhone will indicate how aggressively Apple respond to the market. And yet, it's screen size is still a mystery. However, a 3.75' screen means Apple pride, reluctance, and ignorance to consumers' need. A 4' screen indicates a minimum sincerity of Apple to customers. A 4.3' means Apple respond to the market aggressively.

Different people prefer different sizes of screen, just like the case in notebook (we have 13' and 15.3' MacBook Pro). I know it can be another debate topic. Therefore, I wish Apple will release iPhones of different models with different screen sizes, and this will be the best strategy for Apple.

18. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Kind of like the Republican party: "Don't like what we stand for? Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out!" - regardless of how legitimate your concerns are...

OP: As far as delay goes, 2 years between any kind of phone redesign isn't already bad enough?

One thing this fall will show us (assuming these leaked images are legit), is that there will be no new phone designs coming out of Apple (or major OS changes) and no useful screen size change. They've settled on a design they like and the average Joe will keep buying, so they have no need to shake things up. They will, however, keep updating it here and there to keep the faithful buying.

And as they say, if you don't like it, don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out!

19. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I would disagree that this opinion represents the majority of loyal Apple users

20. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

These are not the words of a fan boy. I suggest some of you look up the definition of fan boy and do another self assessment.

Would a devout Yankees fan suddenly switch to the Mets because Mariano didn't get a new contract. NO. They'd be bummed but they'd still don the pinstripes.

Your statement here means that you not a fan boy but rather a fair weather fan which is fine but you don't bleed 1 infinite loop so you're not really a fan boy.

Apple will likely deliver a 4" iPhone. Fair weather fans will complain about what they don't have and either stay or leave an fan boys will have the phone day 1.

21. dvoros macrumors 6502

screen size

As the saying goes "Size does matter". Please produce at least a 4.5 inch screen so I can see what I am doing.

Thank you

22. obey macrumors newbie

Another useless thread. Your new home = androidforums.com.

Cya.

23. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Checked his posting history. Vast majority of Mr Li's posts are negative. Which explains why he attempts to curry favor with the "I'm a Apple fan boy" qualifier.

Clearly Apple mobile devices aren't working out. Best just to move on.

24. Syk macrumors 6502a

I'm thinking about switching also. I was going with the S3 but think I'll go with the Note2. I'm still going to wait to see what the new iPhone has to offer. If it's just the long screen and iOS6 doesn't really do anything special with the additional space. I'll give the Note2 a try for a while.

I'm in IT and for me the bigger screen is a plus. I use my smartphone smart features more than as a phone. I also read the S pen function has been tweaked. It would be handy for jotting notes down

Only bad part for me switching is I mentioned to a coworker who's also a friend that I was looking at getting a Note2, he has an iPhone. He asked what's a Note, told him. Next day he came into the office and was like man I like that big screen. I went and looked at the Note last night. Let me know when they come out I may get one too :(

I remember when I was the only one in the office with an iPhone and I know it's petty but sometimes you like to be different at least for a little while also me being lazy didn't change my ringtones and alerts and now there are quiet a few more people with iPhones and when we're shooting the breeze and a text tone goes off everyone is fumbling to see if it's them:D

Seriously though. I have an iPad2 and if they make the mini I'll pick one up for my sons(If they're no more than $250 others Nexus7) but for my phone I think I want to try something new. It has pretty much all the apps I'll need like GolfShot GPS app

I know the die hards are going to go with the new iPhone but I've noticed a few people people I know have gone Android and their reason was larger screen. Guy last week at work bought a S3 and I played with it and I have to say it's nice and I can use it with one hand and I don't have big hands and it also fits in my pocket.

Right now I feel I'm 90% sure I'm going to switch but that can change depending on what I see about the new phone but I'm pretty sure if they make it 4" long this year the 2013 and maybe the 2014 will also have the same form factor.

I'm just rambling now but I wish Apple had gone with a 4.3" instead of what looks to be a 4" long screen. :(

25. CPD_1 macrumors 6502

And if Apple releases a 5.5" phone, that means they're responding really aggressively. And if they release a 6" phone, that means that they are responding really, really aggressively. And if they release a 6.5" phone...

Or, maybe they aren't basing their entire strategy on screen size. All these people complaining about how the iPhone is "too small" and how they "can hardly read it" seem like they are really reaching. I don't have the worlds greatest vision, but I've never had trouble reading my iPhone. Not on any site. Ever.

If Apple releases a 4" phone, it will be for one of two reasons. Either they have a very specific reason for wanting a roughly 16:9 aspect ratio (i.e. no letter boxing or less letter boxing on most movies) or they absolutely needed to fit a larger battery in for a power hungry LTE radio and couldn't do so in the existing form factor.

As for you whiners who are going on about the lack of a redesign, how much more do you want a black rectangle with rounded corners to be redesigned?

The "leaks" (assuming these are real and not a distraction) show an almost completely aluminum construction with anodization for either black or white, and what looks like a more beveled edge from the sides to the back. The construction seems like it would make it less prone to breaking, keeps a level of quality to the materials that would be expected from Apple, and doesn't mess with the elements that already work.

If you all had your way we'd eventually end up with something ridiculous like this:

[​IMG]

Just because you want a complete redesign, and there are only so many permutations of the current form factor that work.