Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maddie97

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2016
I want to transfer to university from college but my marks in college are aweful. The reason they are so bad is due to a variety of reasons; health issues (mental and physical), lack of interest in certain aspects of the program and family issues. I was initially accepted for the program I want to apply to at the university at the time of graduation from high school, but due to family influence I chose the college program instead. I know that if I were to apply for the program at the university I would not get accepted with my current marks and I know that I do not wish to continue with the program I am currently in. I was thinking that I could maybe take a few night school courses that pertain to the program I wish to take at the university, but I do not know if that will be enough to be accepted to the program. I do not know what to do and where to go from here and I was hoping somebody would be able to give me some advice as to what I could do. Am I screwed? Or are there options out there for the situation I am in?

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Not sure how it works in the states, but I would assume it's more/less the same. Your best option is change programs at your current college or take courses that would be applicable to the program you want to take/be in and get your marks up and then applying for a transfer to the university of choice. You'll be given at least some credit for applicable courses so it wouldn't be a total waste if/when you transfer to university.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
You should discuss your options, and what you can do about them, with someone at the university you wish to attend. They are the only one who would be able to definitively tell you what you will need to get into the university. No one else—not here, not at the night school—will be able to give you a definitive answer to that.

Once you have a definitive answer on what is needed to get into the university, you can begin planning how to reach that goal. A guidance counselor at the university may be able to help you with that. If not, a guidance counselor at the night school might, or even one at your current college.

Note the order of actions here:
1. Find out definitively what's needed to get into the university.
2. Create a plan to achieve those things.

If you create a plan, or start evaluating options on what to do, without knowing what you need to achieve, then you won't know with certainty what goal the plan should work towards. That would be backwards. Know the goal first, very clearly, then make the plan that can achieve it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.