I wish Watch would make it easier to get someone's phone number on the fly.

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Bobby Corwen, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Maybe using NFC to transfer a contact profile.

Maybe clicking an add new contact button on the phone for quick input of contact and upload to contacts.

I remember getting that vibe like "that's what this could be better than a phone for."

(Side note: why did they have the nerdiest guy ever present the Watch when the whole scope of the mountain we are trying to climb for mass adoption is to NOT make it come across as a gizmo for only techies which is the biggest hurdle)

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Maybe that is a feature. They didn't go into detail every single feature of the new watch.

3. Bobby Corwen thread starter macrumors 68030

I think in that demo posted on keynote day where the girl is describing the features it felt like the guy asking questions was trying to go there and it seemed like she diverted to something else because I don't think it is a feature yet.

Probably would have told us about it.

4. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Yes, it would be great if Apple learned to play nicely with others, and support NFC standards.

One of the three handy things about NFC (the others being payments and reading RFID tags) is its peer-to-peer mode, which has a fairly common language for transferring bits of info.

With it, you can put two devices close to each other to transfer URLs, WiFi setups, photos, videos, maps, directions, contacts, website URLs, etc.

I and my son-in-law do it all the time when he comes to visit. We'll be sitting on the couch together and he'll say, hey look at this site... tap and I'm looking at it. Or we go out to eat at a new place, and we tap phones to transfer directions.

Basically, you have an app open on one phone, and when you tap the other phone, an info pointer about that page being viewed is passed via NFC. The target owner can then accept it or not. If he does, his phone opens an app associated with it (e.g web browser, Maps, YouTube, gallery, contacts, etc).

For large files, the two phones negotiate a Bluetooth or WiFi connection for greater speed.

There's also other (non-smartphone) NFC equipped devices like speakers and cameras, which use the same kind of method to transfer data or setup info.

5. Nebrie macrumors 6502a

6. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

I agree that there are useful features of NFC that would be great to see. But lets be honest, had Apple announced that every news organization in the world would be running stories today about how "hackers" are going to get access to your contact list and other information over NFC. :rolleyes: