Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GusR9

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2007
Hello guys! I'm writting from my brand new MacBook (2 Ghz, 1 GB Ram, 80 GB HDD)
I'm so happy after waiting several months I won the battle, my parents tried to convince me to buy a PC seeing Dell's, HP's and many other brands but I won and now I'm a proud owner of a MacBook.
Thanks to you guys for all your help and support, I would appreciate any suggestions for my new laptop like whagt type of software do you use, widgets, cases...
Thanks!!
:apple:

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
i was expecting a thread where you won a macbook in some sort of raffle. congrats nonetheless! the first things i always download are perian, flip4mac and sizzlingkeys. i'd link them for you, but i'm hungry and need to eat!

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
Congrats on the MacBook! If you look around on the forum you'll find quite a few threads about apps that we recommend, you might want to look at a few of them.

masse

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2007
MA/GA
Chaxx plugin for ichat, quicksilver, camino, microsoft office..

widgets I'd go with : sing that tune (fetches lyrics), itunes widget, weather, calendar, istat pro.

letswastetime

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2007
congrats! i had to fight the same battle for months against my parents because i needed a laptop for college, and i ended up winning to! it was worth it though, i love my new macbook! :D

when i purchased my macbook for college, i got these programs: applecare, microsoft office, and lojack. i also purchased these accessories: logitech vx revolution mouse, incase neoprene case, and ilap(which should be arriving soon:rolleyes:).

some good widgets: weather, istat pro, sing that tune, macrumors.com widget, lava lamp, delivery status

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Congrats! I went through a similar experience(including being told that I was chasing a "fad" and such). In the end, I won and bought my own mbp with my own money. Isn't satisfying to know that you have what you want? Enjoy!:)

GusR9

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2007
It's the best thing in all the world having the computer that I wanted..a mac, my mac its gorgeus and talking with you guys as mac user (not as wishing a mac) is another thing, thanks for everything
I have two days with my macbook and sometimes I just cant believe that I already have it

GusR9

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2007
That's the thing I'm doing right now, from the very first moment that I opened the box...

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Score won for the good guys!

Recently had a friend, a gamer, bought a Dell Laptop to game on....after a year of problems(harddrive failed, sent it in, came back with an uninstalled HD, plus none working wi-fi, sent it back, came back with the DVD drive uninstalled....it was hell)....Dell gave him a refund, and he got an iMac.

JasonMac

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2007
Congrats on the macbook, you will cheerish it for a long time, if you need any help these forums are great!!!

great high wolf

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2006
I had the same battle! ;)

Bought myself an iBook with my own money, then whaddyaknow... the rest of my family follows me over to Mac. :D

Good programs: NeoOffice (free office suite), Adium (IM app extraordinaire), Perian (Codecs extraordinaire) and iStat Pro (Widget to tell you everything about your system).

Enjoy your MacBook! :)

GusR9

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2007
Another thing guys..can you give some advices about caring the battery?? I'm a little worried about that...
If I calibrate the battery one time per month it's ok??
How many times do you charge your macbook per month, week?
Can I use my Mac, plugged in to the power adapter during various days without damaging the battery??

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Another thing guys..can you give some advices about caring the battery?? I'm a little worried about that...
If I calibrate the battery one time per month it's ok??
How many times do you charge your macbook per month, week?
Can I use my Mac, plugged in to the power adapter during various days without damaging the battery??

Apple's site has good stuff on battery basics, but if you are going to be using your macbook for long periods on AC power, it is easier to remove the battery. Calibrating your battery once a month is fine.

boobooq88

macrumors regular
May 12, 2007
Your parents bought you a computer?!?! Lucky!!! :p I have had to buy both my laptops with my own money :mad: But congrats anyway man... Just bein jealous ;)

But at least for me I had no convincing to do. :) My first laptop I got (about a year ago) was a HP dv5000t w/ a core duo which I immediately setup a dual boot system with windows xp and opensuse linux. Now that lappy runs linux exclusively :D Then a lil more than a month ago (June 19? i think) I bought my snazzy new LED backlit MBP :) Now I just gotta replace the screen on my HP (a friend cracked the screen on it while playing my wii while I was in the bathroom and he was suposed to be doing homework :mad: but he did give me 400 for it as HP wanted 800 to repair it but I said "bleep" that :D)

But my mom says she wants to get a new laptop soon... so I will soon be on a mission to convince her to get a mac rather than a PC (unless it runs linux :D). Boy that's gonna be tough... I may just take her current laptop from her and force her to use my MBP for a while :p Hopefully that will convince her.

But look at me ramble

Congrats dooood!

GusR9

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2007
I bought it with my own money dude, but parents wanted to decide for me... they told me that a mac is only for design or arts and it would be a waste of money for my type of career (Laws), indeed they offer me to give a dell but I preferred to pay with my own money for my macbook after who is going to use it? me...of who is the money? mine so..I have the power to decide it was like a battle between my parents (PC side) and me (Mac side) and finally I won...!!

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
I bought it with my own money dude, but parents wanted to decide for me... they told me that a mac is only for design or arts and it would be a waste of money for my type of career (Laws), indeed they offer me to give a dell but I preferred to pay with my own money for my macbook after who is going to use it? me...of who is the money? mine so..I have the power to decide it was like a battle between my parents (PC side) and me (Mac side) and finally I won...!!

I was in a similar situation, and like you, I want to go into Law. The one hurdle left is pesky law school IT guys who try to claim that Macs using Bootcamp can't be used for tests:mad: Don't worry though, in a few years, it'll all be :apple: anyways:D

GusR9

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2007
Well I'm going to law and I'm going to use my mac and maybe bootcamp nothing is going to stop me at the end I have a mac and I'm going to enjoy it, Im going to be a very cool lawyer hahaha

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.