I wonder how many people will "accidentally" drop their iPad 3 in the bathtub?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Bob Coxner, Jul 7, 2012.

1. Bob Coxner macrumors 6502a

If this rumor turns out to be true.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2406816,00.asp

The upgraded iPad 3 will have a better battery life, run cooler, be lighter and thinner and will have an IGZO screen. Assuming you have Applecare+, for $49 (and an accident) you can have a newer, better iPad.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I'm sure they would have plenty of the older version to replace it with

3. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

The "hot spot" on the iPad 3 is not the backlight itself. Yes, the additional backlighting does contribute to heat - but most complaints I've seen stemmed from the CPU / GPU itself.

This report sounds more like the next iPad than a revision to this one. Entirely different display, battery, case, backlight... that seems to be pushing the limits of "revision" into "model".

4. Rodster macrumors 68040

Sounds like a preview of the iPad 4. Add more horsepower and i'll add it to my collection. :cool:

5. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

Upgrading the current iPad 3 would be a poor business move on apple's part. I assume this is a preview/guess of the iPad 4.

6. mattkidd macrumors regular

mattkidd

well they have tweaked the CPU in the iPad 2, so it really wouldn't surprise me if they were working on fixing these flaws with the new iPad...

7. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

They tweaked it when making it the second-tier model, cutting the price $100. Not when it was still the flagship. Moreover, that's something that doesn't "show."

Imagine buying the new lighter version, it needs repairs and it's replaced with a heavier, hotter model.

BTW, I bought my iPad 1 later in the model cycle (November, if I remember). When it needed replacement under warranty a few months after the iPad 2 came out, they had an iPad 1 to replace it with, and it was the less-common 64GB model.

8. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

9. Virgo macrumors 6502

Virgo

If they change the iPad 3, they better replace mine... not fair.

10. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

They will probably test run these changes on the ipad mini, then release implement them in the revised ipad next march, together with other goodies like quad core. :cool:

11. Batavian macrumors 6502

Batavian

Nice find.

The igzo screens use significantly less power so this should help extend battery life.

12. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Many things, from cars to dishwashers to stuffed animals, get upgrades and updates during the same model year. No one gets replacements.

13. iEvolution macrumors 65816

Sorry but when a company feels the need to update a device 4 months after to fix flaws that should have been fixed the first time around I think it'd be pretty messed up for those of us that have "flawed" versions. This device costs at least 500, so if this were to happen it'd PO a lot of people, they could at least offer a discount for exchanging old units.

That said I totally think the heat issue is completely overblown, yes it's warm but it's not so warm that it needs to be fixed.

If they really do redesign the iPad 3, I'm certain it would be a PR nightmare.

14. adztaylor macrumors 68000

If you felt your device was "flawed" then you should have taken it back for a refund when you had the chance. Simple.

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Attached Files:

16. iEvolution, Jul 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2012

iEvolution macrumors 65816

Did you not read my message? I said the so called heat issue is overblown and doesn't need any fixing. I guess some people only read what they want to read. :confused:

17. adztaylor macrumors 68000

I did read your message, and what I read was you contradicting yourself completely. First you talk about how it is flawed and Apple should address it. Then in the next paragraph you talk about how it's overblown :confused:

Newer components become available. Ones that use less power, more efficient etc. Apple has every right to use them. It's technology and it's always progressing. The iPad you bought on day one doesn't change it's function so if your happy with it you keep it, if it's "flawed" you return it.

18. BiggAW macrumors 68020

I don't think most iPad 3 owners will care, as those supposed issues are pretty much BS.

19. Batavian macrumors 6502

Batavian

I'd be more interested in how the lower power requirements of the igzo screens improve battery time.

20. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I think I might be the only one on this site with this opinion, but I don't think a .6 mm difference from the iPad 2 to the iPad 3 was a big deal at all. Look at that width on a ruler and tell me that you would actually be able to tell the difference just holding the two side by side and not looking at them. I think the iPad 3 LOOKS thicker because the back is designed slightly differently than on the iPad 2, but in reality, it's a hair's width difference in actual thickness.

The heat issue......I don't know. My iPad got a bit warm when I was playing Infinity Blade 2 one day--but that was after an hour and a half straight of playing the game. I think this one is pretty overblown and Consumer Reports, the propagator of all the controversy, even admitted as much.

Battery? I am getting 5 or 6 days out of one charge, and I use my iPad anywhere from 1 to 3 hours a day. If I'm doing any heavy gaming or anything like that, of course it drains faster, but for just reading my news and magazines, watching video, listening to music, etc. (normal day to day) I get several days worth of use. It may help that I turn my wifi off during the day because I don't want my company to see that I know the wifi password. I will say that if I charge the iPad up to 100% and take it off the charger right away I get less battery life than if I plug it in an hour or two before bed time and then let it sit all night (probably sits on 100% for at least a couple of hours on the charger during the night when I do it this way).

I think people are also underestimating the effort it takes to re-set up manufacturing for something like this. I think it's likely that this is an idea for next year's model.

21. richardmu macrumors 6502a

Sounds like my next iPad is on it's way.

I returned my iPad 3 because it felt heavier and chunkier than my 2. Lot's of folk on this forum didn't notice any difference but my wife and I did and didn't like it so it went back.

22. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

Hold your horses....they won't be available til Christmas at least.

----------

Gee at my local Best Buy...they have both available for comparison. I do my homework first then make a purchase decision. If I am not completely sure, then I don't need/want it.

23. richardmu macrumors 6502a

I bought my 3 online when they first came out to pick up next day at my local store.

No chance at that time to compare. Got it home and then compared it to my 2. Retina screen was nice but not enough for me to keep it. It just felt heavier and chunkier. Only a bit but enough to reject it.

If this upgrade happens then I wiil buy it. Simple.

24. Fruit Cake macrumors 6502a

I dare say apple if they do have these new sharp panels are most likely stock piling them do they can have enough "at volume" to indeed launch the next iPad. They're gonna need a couple million at launch at the very least, maybe more.

25. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

This happens all the time in manufacturing, and always has done.
    Just that you don't know about it.