I wonder if an imac will fit on my desk...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by vrillusions, Sep 24, 2008.

1. vrillusions macrumors regular

vrillusions

So i'm thinking of finally getting a mac at home (I use one at work) but my desk kinda sucks. It's nice and all but there's no way to have more than a single monitor. The 21" widescreen I had to measure to make sure it fits. So out of curiosity I took a piece of cardboard and got the dimensions for the 20" imac and got it to the proper size, guessed at the internal dimensions since they just give external ones, and propped it up where I planned to put it--I was going to use my current monitor as my main screen since it is slightly large than the imac. Well, see for yourself...

Yeah that's pretty much blocking the middle third of the desk. I'm still probably going to do it. Just going to wait for the possible upgrades that are rumored before the holidays.

Attached Files:

2. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

That might be tight, if you plan on leaving it nestled in that cubby hole.

Remember, an iMac must be able to breath.

3. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I'm not so sure it would fit in that little nook or cranny... iMacs are rather tall. The stand holds the computer about 4" off the table surface, and the size of the actual computer is a lot bigger in person than you think they are.

Don't get me wrong - they're very convenient (not having a tower and all), but just keep in mind they take up a bit more space than you think at first glance.

4. vrillusions thread starter macrumors regular

vrillusions

It's kinda hard to see, but that piece of cardboard are the exact dimensions of a 20" imac (according to apple's site). I planned on putting it exactly how it sits there--the current lcd still in the cubby hole and and the imac off to the left. So yeah, it is higher. I'd probably end up raising the monitor so it lines up a little better. I did originally thought of putting the imac in the cubby hole. Then I realized the cd drive is on the side :)