I wonder if just anyone will be able to buy the gold watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by JoeG4, Mar 9, 2015.

1. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

Suppose you have the $10k in your pocket/bank account (and tax, of course), and decide you really want a gold Apple Watch Edition (funny how that spells awe).

Think anyone will be able to buy it? Perhaps Apple will go the Ferrari route - extremely limited quantities, and you have to get on a special few-months-long waiting list?

Part of me thinks a tech company would be insane to do that, but if they went with a sorta invite-only purchase method...

2. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

3. whtrbt7 macrumors 65816

Sony tried the whole invite only thing with their Qualia line. They could have been more successful but they just managed it poorly.

Apple will probably have e trembly limited quantities of the gold watches from what I expect so they will sell out quickly and then it will probably be first come first serve with a waiting list.

4. phantomsd macrumors 6502

phantomsd

Select stores only... so probably flagship locations with special built areas/rooms. Also, I'm going to guess it will be special appointment unlike the store floor AW/AW Sport fittings.

If I'm dropping 10K+... it better be a memorable experience only Apple can create! :rolleyes:

5. Dekema2 macrumors 6502a

Dekema2

Has anyone on this board seriously indicated they're buying this?

6. taedouni macrumors 65816

I'm pretty sure that people who have that kind of money don't visit these boards. If anything, I bet that most people that purchase the Apple Watch Edition will be celebrities. Wealthy people that earned their money outside of entertainment will probably think that it's not worth investing that kind of money in the Apple Watch Edition.

7. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

Lets not forget there are a lot of very wealthy ultra nerdy types in the bay area. Filthy rich off startups but still total nerds at heart. I am sure they are here :D

And no that's not me ... *I wish* ... but know a few.

8. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

I think this poll from 9to5Mac is quite interesting.

According to that, quite a few people will go for the most expensive watches. Of course, that does not actually mean they will do it, and som retards will vote for it just because they can, but the numbers are much higher than I would have anticipated.

I would also assume that people that want the most expensive ones, aren't actually going to talk loud about it.

9. taedouni macrumors 65816

But I just don't see them being active on the forums. The forums is for us dreamers who wish we could have everything in the world made by Apple.

10. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

A-list celebrities don't purchase anything. They'll have their reps call Tim Cook and beg for freebies. The rest of the "celebrities" can't afford it. :)

11. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

I'd rather have an extra "beater" car. lol

Just because you can afford it...isn't reason enough. imo.
    Then again, I'm not the target market of that piece.

12. refslady macrumors regular

Yes, if Oscars and Grammys weren't over, the Watch would have been a great item for the freebie bags.

13. kmj2318 macrumors 68000

kmj2318

I've think if someone wants one, they'll easily be able to get one. It don't think it makes any sense to turn down customers for a product with the highest margins. Ferrari does it because they want to maintain a certain brand image, but I don't see Apple doing that.

I always thought calling something limited is odd, of course it's limited, it can't be unlimited. The only reason why they might be hard to buy is if demand was unexpected.

14. MrJandali macrumors member

Guess 10% are the rich people, there are the Edition customers and they don´t give a sh++ on the price. Imagine you see millions on your account, what do you care about 10 / 20k $ ? Just a tip. #

And yes, the majority of those rich people live in their own universe, they avoid such poor people´s boards, naturally.

For 80% Edition watches are completely unaffordable.

15. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

I agree to a degree.
    People don't maintain wealth by spending frivolously and not caring about their bank account.

16. MrJandali macrumors member

Oh yes, yes, of course, you´re absolutely right.

Gonna tell you a true story.

My mom was once getting a beauty cut from one of the most famous, successful cosmetic surgeons in the world. She fulfilled herself a lifelong dream with it. At the clinic she met one of those super duper rich 1% in the world. That woman´s wealth was unimaginable. F.e. she owned an enormously huge multi-floor luxury residence at central park NY. My mom´s surgery was about 25k$ at that time, about 7 years ago. Now guess what they did ... They went shopping... some clothes in a boutique, thousands a dress. (my mom did not buy anything) After shopping they wanted to eat something and they drove with a taxi (!!!) to a well know discounter market called "Lidl" to buy some extra cheap food. Guess why.... To save money... Seriously ? Imagine that insanity. Spend 30+k$ for a cosmetic surgery, spend thousands for dresses, spend 20$ for a taxi to buy some sh++ for 5$ to eat in a store for the poorest people here.

Or let me tell you another true story. Several years ago my mom worked in a special clinic. There she met a kind old lady from Monaco. That lady had a big suitcase in her room full with fresh bunches of 500€ banknotes. She told my mom she always has that suitcase near her to give away money to her friends, family or to pay whatever she wants. Imagine that: A big suitcase with dozens of big fat 500€ bunches.

Yes, rich people are extremely stingy - on one hand. But on the other hand they give away their money in a lavish way. If a beggar comes for a buck normally they don´t give a sh++. But if they see something glamorous they don´t care. They argue and bargain about ridiculous stuff here and throw thousands and hundreds of thousands out of the windows without asking a single question there. They buy yachts for 20+ million $ and drink cheap coke from the next supermarket. This is also called ambivalence. It is emotional and it is very human.

17. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

The gold ones should've been auctioned off for charity. Better press. Everyone wins. Money doesn't become an issue.

18. echo44 macrumors 6502

The only thing in common with rich people is they have a lot of money!
    Some are stingy some are not. Some throw away a lot of cash on useless junk,
    others are dollar thrifty. To believe there is any typical behavior in any category of people whether its segregated by wealth, race, religion or sexual preference is nothing more than bigotry.

19. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

I wouldn't say that so quickly. Plenty of us buy whatever Apple gear we want.

20. whtrbt7 macrumors 65816

People will buy the gold watches for sure. I just don't think they will have adequate supply. There are lots of people with lots of disposable income out there.

21. JoeG4 thread starter macrumors 68030

JoeG4

I'm betting they won't even have to ask. Tim Cook's probably got a list of A-Listers he likes that will be getting them as gifts. It's probably a pretty decent list, too. Enough to get into those magazines by the counter at Safeway or whatever.

I'd guess they won't explicitly put you on a waiting list - shoot I doubt you'll even be able to actually give them money for the watch. My guess is you'll have to be placed on a waiting list and they'll call you to arrange the appointment. At some point in the distant future. And the supplies are extremely limited, sorry. We've been very overwhelmed and the watchmakers have to pour hours over these by hand. Oh yeah, and the gold technique turned to to have some kind of problem so it's going to take 6 months to fix that.

Shoot I'd be surprised if they don't have some magical "production run problem" on the regular aluminum watches too. It's Apple. They do the whole casually late thing and they always will.

22. BlackLotus23 macrumors newbie

I don't consider myself wealthy by any means, but I just received a very hefty bonus, well over 10k, and no I won't buy the edition model. I am leaning towards the SS model.

23. Mildredop macrumors 68020

Why on earth not?! Rich people are the same as everyone else. They're not super human!

As this is anonymous, I don't mind saying I have that sort of money, but I'm on these boards.

----------

I was once working with a celebrity (and not even a very famous one in my opinion) who got a call from Apple offering him a new iPhone with unlimited minutes etc etc. All he had to do was send one tweet about the phone.

24. Newtons Apple, Mar 12, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2015

Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

$10k is pocket change to more people than you think.:eek:

[​IMG]

25. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

I'm sure there are people here who could buy one. I've made more than that last year on Apple stock so if I wanted one I could buy one without going hungry. I just don't happen to want one, because I don't wear jewelry.

I bet in the first couple of weeks if supply is short enough we'll be seeing news stories about them going for $20k on eBay.

Personally, I'm looking for this model.

[​IMG]