I wonder if the Black Strip will improve Wifi reception as well....

Discussion in 'iPad' started by DougFNJ, Apr 29, 2010.

1. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

On my Wifi like many, I tend to get varying signal strength. I wonder if the black bar would possibly imrpove Wifi signal reception along with the 3G?

2. HXGuy macrumors 68000

I guess it could since a large portion of the top of the iPad is now plastic which should transmit the signal better.

3. maf2k8 macrumors 6502

This has already been discussed and the answer is NO because the antennas are located at the bottom of the iPad.

4. wombat888 macrumors 6502a

I don't think that definitively means no. It would help more if the antenna was at the top, but any reduction in the aluminum surrounding the antenna would seem to help even if the placement isn't ideal. I guess it's moot if the internals of the device block signal even more than the aluminum shell.

5. leesweet macrumors demi-god

leesweet

As far as I remember from the teardown, the WiFi antenna is attached to the inside of the shell at and directed out the black Apple logo. I can't see much radiation being left inside to 'leak' out the added 'exit point' of the new black strip for the 3G.

It's possible you'd get a very little improvement, but the WiFi antenna looked to be about the size of the Apple (RF transparent) logo, and that was the point... :)

Comparisons of the two models would be good. How do you get a real signal reading from an iPad without loading an iPhone app? I don't recall how to (can you?) get it into a mode where you see things like signal strength. (Yes, MRoogle is your friend...)

6. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

ugh ooo, that's where she sits.:eek:

7. ipadder macrumors regular

You probably wont see much improvement. Apple has done many things to make sure the WiFi version of the iPad has good signal strength, i.e. the Apple logo

8. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Come back here in 24 hours. People who received their 3G iPads will be sure to post every excrutiating detail about how they work.

9. Lotus Esprit V8 macrumors regular

10. vertigo235 macrumors 6502

Well, there hasn't been a teardown of the 3G yet, so it's still possible that the 3G may have a WiFi antenna in the top.