I wonder why. i had this WD 2tb ext drive for more than 3 months now and i used this

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by the hippie, Jan 1, 2012.

1. the hippie macrumors member

I wonder why. i had this WD 2tb ext drive for more than 3 months now and i used this last night and it was still ok. i've used about 220 gb on it but now there's an error when i connect it to my macbook. the disk you inserted was not readable by this computer. is there a cure to this? i never pull out the usb w/o eject, i always eject it properly before pulling out the usb.

----------

For any help, thanks.

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Well, two possibilities:

1) The drive has failing hardware. Hard to diagnose this as the problem without reformatting it and seeing if it flakes out again, but if it's making any kind of funny repetitive clicking noise, that's a bad sign. And no, there's usually no warning at all for this kind of failure--they just stop working one day.

2) Random data corruption. Unlikely when nothing has gone wrong, but possible. MUCH more so if you never reformatted it to MacOS (HFS) Journaled, but rather just left it in the FAT format it came in.

Try opening up Disk Utility when the drive is connected (click "ignore" in the warning dialog), select the partition indented under the drive in the list at left, and click the "Repair Disk" button at far lower right. With any luck, it will do so.

If there's nothing to select and you really need data off of it, download Data Rescue 3 and see if it can salvage stuff for you. There are drive repair programs you can pay for as well, if you want to try, but it's probably easier to just go straight to the desperation tool--if Data Rescue can't find anything, you're out of luck.

Assuming it is just data corruption, and that you had left it factory formatted, the thing to do is to get any data you can off of it, then reformat it as a Mac disk (which will permanently erase anything). If you need help doing that, ask.