I would buy a MBP again if Apple ditches the aluminum unibody and the glossy screen.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by XX55XX, Jan 7, 2012.

1. XX55XX macrumors regular

A few years ago, I got a MacBook Pro 13-inch.

I initially bought a Mac for the OS, and while I loved Mac OS X, I didn't like the hardware that came with it. The MBP was a decent machine, but it did run a bit on the warm side and the aluminum unibody sustained dents more easily than I thought. Additionally, I wasn't a big fan of the glossy screen.

I sold it a few months ago and got myself a Thinkpad T420 instead. I dual-boot Windows and a "hacked" version of Mac OS X on it. The only problem with running a Hackintosh is that not all of the hardware has drivers written for it on the Mac OS side of things, complicating matters a little. The Thinkpad is a bit more tough, is not glossy, has MSATA, but other than the slightly increased durability, the build quality remained more or less the same between the two machines.

Besides the Mac OS X teething pains on my Thinkpad, I am satisfied by my Thinkpad and will not be buying another laptop until Intel's Broadwell chips come out in 2014.

I would consider buying another Mac during that timeframe - but only if Apple ditches the glossy screen and the aluminum unibody in favor of matte screens and a chassis that doesn't dent as easily. Anyone else on me with this one?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Nope, not in the least

I have a 17" MBP and a 13" MBA
    Love them both and wouldn't seriously consider a Windows box

The blend of OS X and hardware is excellent for me

3. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

I actually really like the design of the aluminum MacBooks. I think it is a really clean design and does it's job very well. The unibody aspect of them actually makes it a lot more durable too even with a very slim profile.

The glossy screen doesn't really bother me unless I'm in direct sunlight, otherwise it looks really good. I love my 15" MBP, and I'm sure that they will redesign the case in the next couple years, but I would buy another if needed.

I'm going off to college in the next year and will need to get a new MBP before then. If the case design still hasn't changed I will definitely buy a new one. I do hope that they come out with a new design before then though, I always like something new.

4. XX55XX, Jan 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2012

XX55XX thread starter macrumors regular

The issue with the aluminum unibody is:

1. It offers no shock protection for internal components when dropped.
    2. It dents quite easily.

Thinkpads are pretty ugly, but they do a better job when it comes to these two complaints I have about the unibody design.

5. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

If you take care of your stuff than dents shouldn't be a problem. If you don't like glossy, get the antiglare.

6. XX55XX thread starter macrumors regular

...which is only available in the 15-inch/17-inch models.

7. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Thanks for sharing! Just tell me what to do about it and I'm all over it. :)

8. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Which are the best anyways.. 15in is still portable enough to carry around and the increase in screen size is really nice. I went from a 13in to 15in over the summer, I'll never go back

I do agree that the aluminum doesn't offer much shock resistance but if you don't drop your laptop it's a nonissue.

9. XX55XX thread starter macrumors regular

I haven't dropped a laptop since January 2010, but it's still better to have the peace of mind. Thinkpads with their magnesium rollcages offer that. MBPs typically don't.

10. 153098 macrumors member

The form of the unibody and the function of OS X is the perfect combo. I love the unibody design. I'm still skeptical on the new redesign as I don't think they can improve on it but we'll see.

Dents aren't a problem because I don't plan on dropping my macbook any time soon but you're right they do get a bit warm but it's good for winter!

11. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

Glossy doesn't bother me at all since I only use it inside.

Dents don't bother me at all since I take care of it and put it in a sleeve whenever it goes outside the apartment.

I love the design of the Macbook Pro and it never gets so hot that it bothers me.

12. Mac2012 macrumors regular

13. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Too much of a sacrifice in design and build quality just for the off chance you'll drop it.

Actually, Apple needs to make something that's water resistant because every ThinkPad owner I've showed my MBP to has drooled over it. (running Windows of course - they do love their Windows).

14. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

what took you so long to switch to the Windows unit?

please do update us in 3 years on how the Thinkpad is working for you :cool:

15. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

put an SSD in that sucker. i moved from a alu mp 2008 to a new 13" mbp, with an SSD, and the heat is negligible.
    and put your mac in a sleeve.
    put THAT in a briefcase or backpack, and you will have the best of EVERYTHING.

16. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

I personally love the unibody design. I think the aluminum is fantastic. While its true that it can get very warm if on your lap, there are lots of different lap desks one can use.

I have one for home use but even when I'm out and about I've never used my MBP for so long that it became uncomfortably hot. Plus, who does any serious work on their lap?

Honestly I'm surprised by the amount of comments I read about dropping computers. I'm 49 and to date have never dropped one. What do you people do with your computers that your dropping them all the time?

When I look at the construction of a device, I look at the durability as it relates to daily use. Will the hinges hold up? Will the power button withstand a few thousand presses?
    And other things of that nature. But never about the dropabilty of it?

When I had a construction business I used the butt ugly Toughbook because of the nature of the job.

And I like the glossy screen but I may look at the anti-glare when it's time for a new MBP.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Not me, I love the unibody design and I don't hate the glossy display.

18. Akack macrumors 6502a

Same here, never completely dropped my laptop before. I love the alumn unibody, so clean looking.

19. XX55XX thread starter macrumors regular

I was waiting for Sandy Bridge... and the right price.

As for hinges, both the MBP and Thinkpad have held up quite well.

The Thinkpad's build quality is on par with the MacBook Pro I had. And it's a touch more durable.

At any rate, I hope Apple does switch from aluminum to carbon fiber - weren't people talking about that a few years ago?

20. v2club macrumors regular

I would love to see that, but I hardly think so. If you haven't noticed Apple implements the new technologies few years after everyone else does(with some exceptions of course, such as Thunderbolt, in which particular case being the first to implement it doesn't really work for you)

Once I dropped my 13" MBP from a chair on the floor and didn't even scratch it!

21. parapup macrumors 65816

parapup

Agreed on the durability and ruggedness of ThinkPads - I have a X220 myself that I like for all the points you mentioned and the keyboard. But on the other hand the MBPs with Aluminum Unibodies look much better and if you don't drop them or use them in a very demanding environment they are plenty sturdy.

I just wish ThinkPads had bigger and better track pads - that's the only thing that sucks on a x220 with 512GB Samsung SSD, 12.5" IPS display and 16GB RAM!

22. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Carbon fiber would be sweet, I just wonder how much it would cost to make the MBP out of that instead of aluminum. It would surely be a lot lighter if they switched over to carbon fiber, just not sure if they could get carbon fiber in large enough quantities to make it a viable production option.

23. chillfrilla macrumors member

so your saying plastic is better that instead of denting it will crack and chip

24. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Because everything without an Apple logo is a piece of crap right :rolleyes:? The thinkpads are some of the most durable business class laptops out there. I wouldn't be surprised if the repair rate was lower than that of the macbook pros. You seem to assume that no one but Apple can build a decent computer.

Water resistance/sealing of some kind around the keyboard would be great. I've never spilled anything on one, but so many people mention this. I disagree that the thinkpads are a sacrifice in design and build quality. They're top notch laptops.

They spent a lot building the setup required for the aluminum unibody setup, so I am guessing they'll stick with it a big longer. I recall disposal/recycling of carbon fiber being more difficult. I'm not entirely sure of the details though.

25. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Wrong. Just open a MBP, and you will see what i mean.

I've two 17" Unibody MBP, and i have no such problems.