I would like some help setting up an old external hard drive to my new MBP.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by a-m-k, Feb 12, 2013.

1. a-m-k macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

How do you do it as to not put anything that was 'damaged' from the old one? (I had errors.)

I have the Western Digital My Passport 500GB external hard drive that is portable for MAC (WDBAAB5000ACH-NES) I want to erase content from my old MBP so I don't accidentally put things on that shouldn't be there. (errors) How do I do it.

Thank you!

2. PinoyAko macrumors 6502

Try to reformat your HDD and try to "Erase" it. There is an option there where the system will mark the bad sectors so it will not be used again.

Forumers, please correct me if I am wrong.

3. simsaladimbamba

If you use cloning software like CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper!, no errors will be put onto the external HDD, and if an error occurs, the software will tell you that.

But I am still unsure, what you actually mean with "errors" and "damaged". SandboxGeneral probably has his third eye out in a minute or ten and might know what you mean.

4. a-m-k thread starter macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

'damaged' meant from the errors that I had.
    I think I will wait to ask for some assistance from my cousin who I think is offering to help with anything I may need to know. It'll just take longer though. Thanks, everybody!

5. simsaladimbamba

What errors did you have then and where did you have those errors?

6. a-m-k thread starter macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

I actually don't know, these errors were on my old MBP.... They've been fixed, and my dad now owns it.