I would like to buy an iMac G4 but would like help and advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Zedsdead185, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Zedsdead185 macrumors 6502

Hi everyone.

I've recently decided that I need a backup computer since I rely on my macbook pro too much. However, any backup I get only needs to be basic, doesn't need to do anything impressive, and since I am a big nut on design, I have decided that I would like to get my hands on an iMac G4.

If I was to get one I would preferrably want the late 2003 20" model due to its obvious larger proc speeds, larger screen and it has usb 2.0. This would honestly do everything I need as a second and backup computer so please no suggestions for any alternatives. The only alternative I would settle for is the 17" model with same specs.

I have looked about on the internet (uk) and have only found limited results on ebay and gumtree (actually missed out on a bargain on ebay this morning by seconds. Very disheartening :( ). Does anyone know any other sites or places that I may be worthwhile looking at? Or even better, if anyone on here close to Birmingham is selling one?

Also, if anyone has any advice at all on buying iMac G4's then that would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance everyone! :apple:

2. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

Do you want a G4 for the looks? If so, they are some very nice looking machines. However, I sold my last one in 2007 because it was all but useless online... in 2007. If you only plan to use it for word processing and the like, it'll be fine - otherwise, I would suggest looking for (at the very least) a G5. Here in the US they tend to go for about the same price as the G4.

Personally, I'm dying to undertake the project of putting a new, modern Mini in a G4 iMac case. :D

3. Zedsdead185 thread starter macrumors 6502

It is mainly for the looks yes. However, I would still use it for some other things. I bought my mom a 1ghz G4 iBook for really cheap just to do some basic things on cos she had no computer access. I was surprised at how well it could hold its own for a 8 year old machine. I did try the internet and whilst it was indeed a bit slower with modern websites than a newer machine, the only real setback i suffered from was bad flash content.

However, as I said, the 1.25ghz imac 20" is what I would ideally like. Its a tiny bit more powerful than the ibook and therefore should fulfill all my needs as a backup and secondary computer. So for the sake of looks, the later G4 iMac is definitely preferable over the G5.

Oh, and yeah, the mac mini in a G4 is definately a tempting idea! Though maybe a bit too technical for me :p

4. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Yep!

Buddy of mine bought my dad's for the same reason.

Still works great, still looks fantastic.

He paid $400 for it 5 years ago (one of the last 17" models).

Good luck!

5. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

A G4 should do fine for web/email/writing and other tasks. Obviously flash and large video playback on websites will not be great. Definitely find one with USB 2.0. Hope you find a 20" for the right price.

Check out ifixit for knowledge on what to do and how hard it can be to fix if something goes wrong. Of course fixing it would cost more than what you probably paid for it. That's up to you to decide.

6. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

The 20" models usually sell for a fair chunk more than their 17" and 15' counterparts in good condition. Mainly due to their higher spec and the fact they just aren't as common. If the screen isn't a deal breaker i would recommend going smaller. I got a cracking deal on a 15" a few years back and even it is ok as a secondary computer.

Do note though, not all units have built in Airport card (i think it may have been a build to order extra) and only the last revision has USB2.0. The last revision is also the only one compatible with OS 10.5 Leopard.

7. RedCroissant Suspended

I just bought an iMac G5 17" 160GB iSight and base RAM(512MB) for $150(£92) running OS X 10.5.8 and it works great. My kids are using it now for their flash games on PBS and I even loaded them up with their own shows on iTunes.

I even bought an iBook G4 40GB HDD and 1.5GB RAM running OS X 10.5.8 for the same price. I have been very happy with both machines so far and am really glad that I bought them.