I would like to see a MB design similar to Lenovo Yoga

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by marc55, Mar 22, 2015.

1. marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

I was looking at the latest Lenovo Yoga Pro 3, and I think Apple is possible missing the boat here.

I also think the design has a future, as sometimes you just want a tablet, and other times you like a laptop.

Hopefully Apple will come on board.

2. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I doubt it. Convertible laptop/tablets like that are extremely awkward in real use. They are extremely heavy for tablet use, and you always have the keyboard protruding on the back when folded into tablet mode. This is a niche that Lenovo is exploring in their typical 'see what sticks' fashion. It's nowhere near elegant enough for Apple.

3. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I think convertibles are extremely useful for students. You got a normal laptop for writing papers and do other work things and you got a tablet to read through pdfs and study slides. No student wants to carry around two devices when one is fine, it is just more mobile.
    People that complain that it is worse than having two are people that sit at home and don't need the mobility and usually enough cash because they already have a well paid job.

Apple will not jump on it because they said they wouldn't and while they correct their mistakes (iphone 6) it usually takes them a while. OSX would need to get enough touch externsions to make it usable pdf, slide, video consumption device in tablet mode. That wouldn't require too much work but there is no such work going on. It would show in early dev builds of newer OSX version before they release such notebooks.

I think zhenya got a point with the keyboard. Apple probably thinks it isn't elegant enough this way. They will leave that market to the Windows crowd. I think for students it is a lot better. Where I to study now I would definitely choose it over a Mac. With that and Office just being so much better in Windows and having the combatibility, there is no competition. But I am no student anymore.

4. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Depends on the student. Maybe if you're fresh out of high school and looking for the device to take to college. Personally I started school in 2009 with a 13" MBP and later added an iPad Mini mainly for gaming with a little Google Docs work. Now I get most of my work done on a 13" rMBP. I've never really liked those hybrids, and I'm not sure they would be any more helpful than my seperate devices. The rMBP goes to school with me and the iPad Mini goes to work with me for my job as a part-time preschool aide. It's handy to pull out during nap time where a laptop bulky hybrid would be awkward. I also think OS X needs to keep the mouse input rather than adding touch. iOS is good at touch.

5. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I think convertibles are great for students - I just don't think the Yoga format is it. Devices like the Surface Pro, Thinkpad Helix, etc. I think are the better type of convertible device because you can separate the keyboard from the tablet. Weight really matters a LOT for tablet use.