I would've been proud of apple for once if they updated the 15"retina

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Natzoo, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

If they updated the 15" retina or even the 13" with touch screen or a detachable screen, i don't care if you had to custom order it, i would wait months. I wish apple did things crazy and new. but my idea isnt crazy nor new. it has been in the market but not for mac. If only i had the guts to switch to windows but i like the mac OS.

2. cbautis2 macrumors 6502a

Touch screen is a no-no on a laptop and IMO Windoze users rarely or never use the touch screen on a laptop. Touch makes sense on a tablet but never on a laptop. A new user would use touch, but after a week, he/she would highly likely to dismiss it. I might sound like stereotyping, but a lot of MacBook users never want a single fingerprint on their screens and even buy expensive wipes just to keep their mac pristine.

3. Ksprs macrumors newbie

why would you wan't to touch your screen? what would be the purpose/benefit of touching screen when your bmp is on your lap or table? trackpad does all the 'touching' gestures you need or want without leaving fingerprints on the screen. If you need a device that has a detachable screen and touch screen I think new iPad pro would suit you perfectly.

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

A touch screen on a laptop is about the stupidest and most unergonomic way of interacting with the OS. Every touch screen laptop owner I know of used it for a day or two because of the novelty, then disabled it because in the end it was useless and uncomfortable to use.

The detachable screen already exists, it's a separate product called the iPad.

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Sounds like the iPad Pro is basically what you're looking for.

6. Niarlatop macrumors member

An iPad Pro is a totally different machine.

I would appreciate a detachable screen for the MacBook Pro, since ergonomically speaking, a laptop is rather weak. It would be awesome to be able to lift the screen up and not have to bend our backs to see the content.

But it won't happen, it comes with too much tradeoffs design wise.

7. sabbyp macrumors regular

another macrumors forum warrior with zero idea what he's on about...

Touchscreen laptop/tablet hybrids are incredibly useful for cad, video + photo annotations, creative workflow improvements....

apple are likely 'perfecting' the ui experience for an osx/ios hybrid that'll take full advantage of a system like this - might take them a few years yet but it's where it's all been heading. the first major nod towards it in osx was launchpad.

8. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

Oh yeah? You've asked every Windows user that has touchscreen laptop?

9. cbautis2 macrumors 6502a

Nope they don't. They would use Wacom pad and pen instead of that crappy touch screen on laptop if they are using the laptop professionally. I've seen all of my instructors use the Wacom device to provide real time annotations in their presentations and they never use touch on a laptop. Apple knew this from the start and that's why they would never incorporate a touch screen on a laptop.

10. cbautis2 macrumors 6502a

My hunch is that it's only 1% of Windoze users that use touch on a laptop and even on the 2-in-1 device except Surface.

11. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

Oh yes, that word made your claim and comment very legitimate.
    Thanks for enlightening us.

12. Kissmyne macrumors 6502

Kissmyne

I'm sorry that a touchscreen macbook didn't happen for ya, I however am particularly happy that they have not gone down that road. Fingerprints on my screen drive me nuts.

Ergonomically touching a screen attached to your portable computer is bad news for your wrists.. detaching a touchscreen would solve this... kinda.. the issue though would come from the mechanism handling the devices detachability, with both reliability and elegance/esthetics being a major concern(how many Apple devices do you know about, that aren't cases, styluses, or wrist bands, that ARE designed to be "detachable"?).

A Macbook(Any variant.. Air, Pro etc..) wouldn't be a Macbook with a touch screen IMO.

iPads are clearly being maneuvered into this market and that is most likely where you will see the closest comparable equivalent of what you are looking for.

13. Natzoo thread starter macrumors 65816

Natzoo

people do like it. thats why a lot of people buy it. apple is just behind. I would really like to see a better mac in the sense of the outside. like maybe add buttons or shortcuts that other people have. or add a stylus so you can draw and do educational things.

14. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

You are amongst a very small minority of mac users that want a touchscreen on a laptop. There is just not the market for it. If thats what you want, as you point out many other companies make computers with touchscreens and detachable screens, buy one of those. But as others here point out all my friends that bought touchscreen comouters never use the touchscreen.