i3 or i5 for the new wave of Blizzard games

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by xJus10x, Aug 9, 2010.

1. xJus10x macrumors regular

I'm sure this has come up before, but I have bad luck with vBulletin search. I'm going to purchase a new iMac sometime soon, and I'm clueless between the gaming potential of the i3 and i5 on the 21". I'll have Cataclysm when it launces at midnight without a doubt, and I'm currently playing a lot of SC2.... so my question is, does spending an extra $180 on the i5 make a difference? If it does, I minds well upgrade as I plan on using this for a couple years. Any insight is greatly appreciated, thanks! :D

2. LordSeth macrumors newbie

The only difference between the i3 and the i5 processors in the 21.5" iMac is - of course - higher clock speed and (this is more interesting) the Turbo Boost function.
    Whereas you certainly might feel a smoother gameplay due to the .4ghz more, you're less likely to benefit from turbo boost when gaming as it's not meant to operate permanently.
    I still recommend the i5 (you might need the higher cpu clock speed due to the slightly weaker GPU) - sooner or later it will make a difference. :)