i4 -> i5 simple SIM swap? (Softbank SIM/Canadian i5)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by patent10021, Sep 14, 2012.

1. patent10021 macrumors 68020

patent10021

I have the iPhone 4 here in Japan and am getting the i5. I might buy the i5 on Apple Canada since I'm Canadian and it's sold unlocked in Canada. They have the same SIM right? Apple never ended up making a nano SIM right? And the bandwidths match right? Can I simply put my Japanese Softbank SIM in the iPhone 5 I picked up on Apple Canada?

2. vbtwo31984 macrumors regular

iPhone 5 has a nano sim. They are not the same. You might be able to cut down your current sim to fit though.

3. patent10021 thread starter macrumors 68020

patent10021

oh no...I thought they didn't end up producing the nano. Guess I was wrong. Seems like they do it so people can't swap. :mad:

How would you know if it could be cut down?

4. Globug macrumors 6502

Globug

i'm pretty sure that softbank doesn't allow you to use any other sim card in their iPhone and their sim doesn't work in any other phones. You might want to look into this as i could be wrong.

5. eomea5 macrumors newbie

i had a softbank iphone 3g, and cut down the uSIM to fit in my unlocked 4s and it worked no problem, so you dont need to worry about softbank blocking it.

i am not sure about the nano sim, however, as my original softbank usim gold contact area is rather large and just barely fits when i cut it down to a mini-sim size - if i cut it down to nano-sim size i will have to cut some of the gold contact and i dont trust myself doing that (i have no idea if it will even work anyway)