i5 (2.4) vs i7 (2.66) (15")::How much of that is CPU and How much GPU

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Saladsamurai, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Saladsamurai macrumors regular

Hey folks. I am currently researching the new MBP line up as mine is pretty outdated and I know that we recently saw an upgrade to the MBPs. I have decided that I am either going with the low-end 15" or the high-end 15". Although I will be doing some photoshop-esque work (Lightroom) I am not really a huge graphics user (yet). However, most of the benchmark tests that I am seeing do video and photoshop type tests since a large part of the apple market is such.

So I would really like to track down some results of benchmarks that really push the CPU. Anyone have any thoughts?

I also have another newb question: When you upgrade the MBP display to a Hi res display, what exactly is being upgraded? Is it the GPU or the display itself?

Thanks,
    Casey

2. sadcamper macrumors regular

Just the display. The GPU's on the high end (i7) MPB's do have more RAM though, but that has nothing to do with the hi res option.

This is a good review to read:
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/3659/apples-15inch-core-i5-macbook-pro-the-one-to-get

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

XBench, Cinebench, Geekbench, MRoogle, ...

Only the ACTUAL display gets upgraded, as the GPU is capable of addressing 1680 x 1050 pixel quite fine.

4. Saladsamurai thread starter macrumors regular

Display info makes sense; thanks :)

MrRoogle not so helpful to me though. I am not sure what I am looking for. Searching those keywords of course returns many results, but I am having a bit of trouble sorting out the data.

I have found this, but I am not sure yet how useful the results are: http://www.primatelabs.ca/blog/2010/04/macbookpro-benchmarks/

5. apple.gr macrumors regular

And the HiRes screen is fantastic. The best screen I've ever had

6. Saladsamurai thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the links. Unfortunately, they seem to reinforce my initial point: Most of the benchmarks are based on tasks that are GPU intensive and thus are not an accurate reflection of the CPU performance. They do help to give me an overall picture of the machine though. With my student discount I am looking at a difference between 1789 USD for the 2.4 i5 or 2089 USD for the 2.66 i7 (each with Hi Res display). So I will probably go with i7.

7. JodyK macrumors 6502a

JodyK

I am going i7 also in the next few weeks .. i7 get my vote!

8. iBunny macrumors 65816

I agree 100%. My wife has the old Santa Rosa 2007 MBP and that screen is horrible and the resolution looks so big and blocky compared to my nice High Res i7 :) I for sure made the right choice.

I would go High End, High Resolution 15" i7 for sure.