i5/i7 15" & 17" MBP: Is the monitor 6-bit or 8-bit TN?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Libertine Lush, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Libertine Lush macrumors 6502a

Does anyone know if the LCDs on the new MBPs are 6-bit or 8-bit TN? Thank you.

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I have the Samsung LTN154BT08 in mine which is 6bit, but Apple uses various vendors, so YMMV.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

4. Libertine Lush thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, Chupa Chupa.

There are 8-bit panels, from what I could google: "All TN Film panels = Dithering. Some are 6-bit with FRC, some are 6-bit extended to 9-bit and figure as 8-bit in the specs (or 16.7 million colours). More modern panels seem to be the latter, look for "16.7 million colours" quoted in specs."

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/6bit_8bit.htm

5. ippikiokami macrumors regular

This is a quote I saw in another forum talking about this topic

Alternatively, some Monitor manufacturers have allegedly started to call 6-bit displays equipped with an 8-bit (or 9-bit) driver "8-bit". I hope that this isn't what Sony is doing. While these displays can dither better than other 6-bit displays, the end result is still dithered (physically or temporally).

And the only panels i've seen listed as 8 bit are 17 and above.. None of these are in the Macbook Pros (though it possibly could be in the matte 17" inch but unlikely)

6. drjsway macrumors 6502a

All TN displays are 6-bit. Dithering doesn't count.

7. Libertine Lush thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's because of that exact thread in the NBR forum that I started to wonder about the new MBPs! I was keen on getting the Sony Z for a while.