i5 or i7??!?!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Gamedevpro, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Gamedevpro macrumors newbie

Gamedevpro

well i am a new person to apple and im trying to figure out if i could use a i7 or just the i5. i heard that the difference is only like 5-10% but im going to be a animator/ game developer so i don't know if that percentage will make a difference in my renders by 5 mins or 30 mins. so it is ether the 2.53 i5 or the 2.66 i7, both will be glossy cause it saves me a good 50 bucks and i could always get a matte protector. Also im not just buying this just for my work it is also just to test out the realm of mac and see if i could make games for it. i do have a rig pc that i will soon update that will act as a render farm (im too poor for a mac pro sadly...). so is it worth the extra 100 bucks to go with the i7 and put it on credit card or should i just go with the i5 and pay for it in full?

ps. i did another question on this forum but i swear im not a troll its just i didn't have the money at the time and now i do, im pretty much on the apple website store as we speak.

sincerely ,a soon to be mac user.:D

2. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

For maximum performance for the buck, get the iMac (not the MacBook Pro) with its i5 (quad core) or i7 (quad core with hyperthreading, runs like about 5.3 cores in my experience). Performance is up there with recent Mac Pros.

3. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

Go with the i7, especially if you plan on keeping it for a while. I have an i7 iMac and absolutely love it.

4. Gamedevpro thread starter macrumors newbie

Gamedevpro

i have already a pc rig that will be for max performance. and i need a mobile computer to take around with me not another desktop. thx for the info though.
    also this will not be my main work computer, it will be for on the go fixes and for converting games to make mac versions. just need to know if the i7 is worth it over the performance of the 2.53 i5. every dollar counts cause college is expensive.

5. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Then the answer is "no". The percentage speed increase is less than the percentage cost increase. And since you intend to use your PC for processor intensive tasks anyway, you especially don't need to spend the extra money.

Edited to add -- why not save even more by buying the 13"? It's †he most portable, and you can always plug in your PC's monitor if you need more pixels or dual display.

I do my work at a desk, using the 27" iMac, but I also teach and take the 13" MacBook to class and also on vacations. I use it in class to demonstrate Engineering CAD programs and record my lectures. Currently it is busy digitizing my VHS tape collection while I'm on my iMac.

6. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I'm assuming you are talking about the MBP, not iMac. If that is correct, then get the i5. The i7 mobile is more marketing than power. Take a look at the benchmarks. I think you'll conclude they are not that impressive compared to either of the i5 models. FWIW I was going w/ the i7 until I saw the benchmarks and then bought the lowend i5. No regrets.

Now if you are talking about the new iMac, then i7 absolutely. It's a desktop version and really smokes. It gives the low end QC MP a run for its money, and even beats it in some tests.