i7 13.3" MBA > i5 13.3" rMBP in 3dmark 11 scores?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by linjac321, Dec 8, 2014.

1. linjac321, Dec 8, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2014

linjac321 macrumors newbie

Today I was looking if at least gaming is faster on the 13.3" rMBP than the 13.3" MBA. I found that they are similar to almost the same. This is boggling my mind a lot for the past couple days because I wanted to switch over, but seeing this kinda sucks. Is anyone achieving any more than this mediocre score for 3dmark 11 for the 13.3" rMBP?

BTW, I am running 20W of TDP whereas the rMBP is running 28W if that makes a difference.

I always though the i5 rMBP were faster than the i7 macbook airs, just because they have a higher tdp rating. Are you telling me they are exactly the same?

I posted my macbook air score vs this one i found online reviewed by a foreign tech site.

Attached Files:

2. DarkSel macrumors regular

What resolution are they running the benchmark at?

3. linjac321, Dec 8, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2014

linjac321 thread starter macrumors newbie

I believe all are set to default settings. I have seen benchmarks of 4258u at p1270 so it seems to be on par. One thing to note is that with MacBooks with integrated gpus are that all these benchmarks are really dependent on the ambient temperature the room. If you get a rMBP 13.3" in an ambient temperature of 90F and one in 70F. There will be a considerable difference in benchmarking performance.

The fact is that im seeing less than 10% difference between MBA and rMBP is really disappointing.

4. paolo- macrumors 6502a

Both GPU seem to be similar, the rMBP being slightly faster. Though different benchmark seems to create quite varied results. Sadly, it seems that for gaming, the difference between the two is very small.