i7 and GTX 680MX real-world use with Cinema 4D and FCPX?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by AppleInMyBlood, May 28, 2013.

1. AppleInMyBlood macrumors regular

I'm finally biting the bullet and ordering an iMac and I would love to save money by settling for the i5 and 675MX.

Can any experts advise me on how significantly I would gain in real-world use by paying more? As per the thread title, I plan to use Cinema 4D and FCPX as my main applications.

If there would only be a marginal improvement (eg. slightly quicker renders) I'm not sure it's worth it. But if those apps would really struggle with the cheaper options, that would be a different story.

Thanks in advance!

2. Silvereel macrumors 6502

It all depends on how you're using it. If you're a heavy user of graphics apps, like FCP or PhotoShop, and you deal with a lot of really high resolution stuff, CPU and RAM are going to make the biggest difference. The graphics card is going to have a bigger effect on anything that's doing actual live rendering, like a game, and certain pro apps.

In general, it's always better go be safe than sorry, so if you think you need it, get it. It's better than wishing you have it when you don't and it's too late, or needing a new computer next year. RAM is easy to upgrade on the 27 inch iMacs, but CPU & graphics cards are more or less impossible.

3. PJM82 macrumors member

PJM82

Heres an odd question for you. Is this the same evolved Cinema 4D that I once used on the Amiga as a young boy back in the day?

4. Bear macrumors G3

I know FCPX will make use of the i7 and the 680MX. I'm not sure exactly how much of a difference each will make.

5. AppleInMyBlood thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the advice, guys!

PJM82: C4D goes back a ways, though I'm not sure of it goes back that far! It's a 3D all-rounder package like Maya, but apparently easier to learn.

6. tuxon86 macrumors 65816

yes it is!

I think I still have it somewhere in a box in my storage room :)
    I still have 2 Amiga 1000 in good working condition.

7. PJM82 macrumors member

PJM82

I've got three A600s, four A500s, two Cd32s and three A1200s in my parents attic - been before since I joined the military. This thead reminded of them. Now I'm going to hunt out the original cinema 4D!

Thanks guys!