Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2001
Well boys and girls what you are about to read is what I think the next 'MAJOR' bump to the PowerMac will be powered by.... And it AIN'T a MOT CPU!!!

"IBM is disclosing the technical details of a new 64-bit PowerPC microprocessor designed for desktops and entry-level servers. Based on the award winning Power4 design, this processor is an 8-way superscalar design that fully supports Symmetric MultiProcessing. The processor is further enhanced by a vector processing unit implementing over 160 specialized vector instructions and implements a system interface capable of up to 6.4GB/s."

And before anyone asks...

In articles where Altivec has been written about they also state phrase 'over 160 specialized vector instructions' so even if IBM can't or ain't calling it Altivec it sure as heck 'sounds' pretty dern close.

Link: http://www.mdronline.com/mpf/conf.html

EDIT..

Oh and HyperTransport just happens to be/support 6.4 GB/s.

Dave

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Disclosing new technical details? This won't be ready anytime soon - at least not something to get excited about yet. Its all *futuretech*, and its not happening till October. Nice specs though - love to have one now.

D

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Well, based upon Apple's current rollout of "new" technologies, we should be seeing this in no LESS than a year... sounds promising but I'm certainly not expecting to see it any time soon.

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2001
Originally posted by dukestreet
Disclosing new technical details? This won't be ready anytime soon - at least not something to get excited about yet. Its all *futuretech*, and its not happening till October. Nice specs though - love to have one now.

I'm not so sure about that... hey you might be right but if the next PowerMac really does have a MASIVE heatsync (as per those leaked pics) then this sure as heck could be the reason... 8 way superscalar (all things being equal - but their not) that means twice as fast as the G4 at a given speed!! :eek: (the G4 is 4 way superscalar)

Dave

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
30th post...

I would love to see such a thing. It would be AMAZING if Apple could beat the PC makers to the puch and offer HyperTransport before they did. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe that HyperTransport has been adopted yet in the PC world (haven't seen mobos supporting it, not card, etc.)

Too bad it probably won't happen...:(

snoopy

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2002
Portland, OR
We have no idea how long IBM has been working on this. It could be close, which goes along with some information that came with those deleted pictures. It is said to be "next generation G5 ready." If so, Steve anounces the new PowerMac line up with G4s now, and introduces the soon to be released G5. Then Apple will really have the power to run very high end video applications. No? It could also go into a 2U or 3U rackmount, as the anouncement said "for desktops and entry level servers." I hope we won't be disapointed.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
It all makes some sense now. I think the statement that the Canadian Motorola made about Moto stopping development on the PPC for the desktop market is true. Apple has probably been working with IBM for some time now in this processor. I would make a bet...and a pretty sure one at that...IBM will take over the PowerPC for Apple in the future...you can count out AMD and Intel...this is the way Apple will go....mark my word on this.

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2002
Motorola = Semi conductor company
Motorolla = German moped parts store

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
sweet

Well a few weeks ago, there was a rumor posted on MOSR claiming that the G5s to be introduced next year are to be Power4 based. This new development certainly adds more fuel to that fire.

an older thread on this topic

We know IBM's desktop hardware presence is small (if any at all) so this new desktop-targeted PPC chip can't be for themselves. And if it's PPC-based, it's probably not for the x86 crowd. Who does that leave? Linux? Nah, it's gotta be Macs.

-new Mac cases with a radically redesigned cooling system...
-IBM opening a new state-of-the-art manufacturing plant...
-And now this...

the pieces are falling into place...

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
A lot of people are saying "PPC is dying! Apple needs to switch x86 pronto!" This article is only further proof that PowerPC is a strong architecture that will be around for a long time, even if it's not very strong in its G4 iteration. Can we kill the x86 rumors now... please?

One thing about IBM is that they don't drag their asses like Motorola. When they announce a chip, there it comes. Articles like this make me question the sanity of those who think Apple should port to x86 - most computer companies would KILL to have IBM AND Motorola peeling their grapes.

Alex

GrizzlyHippo

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2002
on the sofa
Power 4 sounds good...

I hope this comes to the Mac soon. My problem is that I need to upgrade from my G4/400 AGP a.s.a.p. and I'm waiting for the next PowerMac announcement before making a decision what to do.

Trouble is a 1Ghz upgrade card is £700 and a new base model of whatever is launched should be around £1300. So I think I have to buy whatever Apple launches, as the upgrade card seems a false economy even though the thought of having another G4 for a few years doesn't fill me with joy.

If this IBM processor is true, it would be really nice to get a hint as to when it will come to market. I don't want to stick with the G4/400 any longer than I have to but if IBM powered Macs were to come in January I'd be really peeved if I buy a G4 this month.

Oh God, the termoil.

P.S. Can anyone help with my first ever post in the 'General Mac Discussion' forum about updating a Mk1 iBook... Thanks.

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2002
Re: too bad

Originally posted by theranch
Too bad that conference is in October...it would rule out a G5 in August.

Not necessarily...if aliens killed Kennedy because the Loch Ness monster told them to, Apple may intro this chip from Area 51, and this October conference may be IBM's chance to explain the technology to industry.

If Apple and IBM have secured the '160 Vector instructions' from Motorola, and black op'ed this chip in secret (we all know Apple loves secrets), IBM may relaize there is value in letting Apple get the press for consumer and IT sales, and wow industry purchasers in October.

Or, it could just be an announcement of a new chip for us to wait for...

Chryx

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2002
Originally posted by ibookin'@mwny
I would love to see such a thing. It would be AMAZING if Apple could beat the PC makers to the puch and offer HyperTransport before they did. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe that HyperTransport has been adopted yet in the PC world (haven't seen mobos supporting it, not card, etc.)

Nforce boards have utilised Hypertransport links for 9 months or so now?

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
sounds promising. i'll bet my left nut that Apple goes IBM and ditches MOTO. And BTW, Moto does not own the actual technology of a vector proc unit. they own the name "AltiVec" and their exact instruction of it. that doesn't mean the rest of the world are not free to build similar, bigger, or better VPUs. this is worth waiting for.

Faeylyn

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2002
This processor was announced last October. I doubt IBM has been sitting around playing solitare since then. Even if it doesn't make it into this next round of Macs (and I think it will), my guess is it will be out in less than 12 months.

whiskeybravo

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2002
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by snoopy
If so, Steve anounces the new PowerMac line up with G4s now, and introduces the soon to be released G5.

I don't see that happening, Steve is a bit more clever than that. Introducing the new G4's and simutaneously announcing G5 plans whould effectively cut the legs off of G4 sales. If the G5 is around the corner, but Apple can't wait to introduce new motherboards/architecture, you can bet Steve will trumpet the G4 as the mostest insanely greatestest processor ever...only to be replaced with a G5 at MW in the Spring :)

jadam

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2002
not really sneed, its PPC compatible, no reason why it cant boot into OS0.

Nvidia Nforce mobos do have hypertransport, so does XBox.

w00t for apple, IBM all the way!

macmunch

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2002
I see something ...

Hmm looks good I think ...

6,4 GB /troughput the same size as the Nforce2 can manage
interesting !

:)

We see a G5(or new chip) and a Nforce2 ?

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
This may also explain "Junkyard"

Since it's clear that the p58 chassis rumoured to be replacing the current Quicksilvers is still basically the same frame and structure it's quite possible Junkyard is a part-out option for present B&W G3 and G4 tower owners.:eek:

Wouldn't that be a kick in the ass?

Take in that old pre-sawtooth G4 and have it's guts, panels and power supply swapped out for a G5 w/Hypertransport and DDR333.

( HUGE EVIL GRIN):D :eek: :D :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.