Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

IBM Spins Off 3 PowerPCs

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
CNet reports that IBM sold three of its PowerPC processors (PowerPC 403, 405, and 440) to Applied Micro Circuits.

Based on comments from IBM, the goal of the sale is to open up the Power architecture further.

The 400-series processors sold to Applied Micro Circuits will be marketed for the embedded sector. IBM retains the rights to use PowerPC 400 chips as well as all associated patents. IBM, of course, also retains the rights to the PowerPC 700 and PowerPC 970 chip families.

ingenious

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Macrumors said:
CNet reports that IBM sold three of its PowerPC processors (PowerPC 403, 405, and 440) to Applied Micro Circuits.

Based on comments from IBM, the goal of the sale is to open up the Power architecture further.

The 400-series processors sold to Applied Micro Circuits will be marketed for the embedded sector. IBM retains the rights to use PowerPC 400 chips as well as all associated patents. IBM, of course, also retains the rights to the PowerPC 700 and PowerPC 970 chip families.

did apple ever use these?

dxp4acu

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2002
Texas
Let me be the first to say-

So, does this mean G5 Powerbooks on Tuesday??? :D

Okay, so this really doesn't mean a lot for Apple, other than it is interesting to hear what your cousins are up to (seeing as 400s are just cousins of the G4,G5, etc.).

ingenious

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2004
Washington, D.C.
dxp4acu said:
Let me be the first to say-

So, does this mean G5 Powerbooks on Tuesday??? :D

Okay, so this really doesn't mean a lot for Apple, other than it is interesting to hear what your cousins are up to (seeing as 400s are just cousins of the G4,G5, etc.).

that was SOO not needed. It makes my savings account hurt :'(

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I see this as meaning that more people/companies will be making/using POWER/PowerPC chips, which will help IBM, and the Apple platform indirectly. This news won't affect Apple's plans at all, but it will help IBM's profits, which will speed introduction of POWER5, POWER6, and beyond (and their PowerPC derivatives, unless PowerPC is no longer used and all chips are called POWER), which of course means that Apple can introduce new Macs based on these processors sooner!

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
I know people get excited, but every time a new thread about *anything* is posted, some one has to put in a blurb about G5 Powerbooks. ugh. :eek:

nsb3000

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2003
Boston, MA
carletonmusic said:
I know people get excited, but every time a new thread about *anything* is posted, some one has to put in a blurb about G5 Powerbooks. ugh. :eek:

Right..and it is amazing how no one predict the things that actually get updated, like todays emacs. I think, given todays update, that New iMacs might be next on the docket.

As for this tidbit of news, I am not really sure what it means, but it seems positive.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
carletonmusic said:
even that, though, is better than, say, the first response to this thread..
*edit: this refers to the post of the guy that thought a one word comment was appropriate for the news discussion whose post was prudently removed--apologies to the guy whose perfectly good post was then put in the first response position. sorry for any confusion*

This seems more like a MacBytes article to me, anyways. This isn't even remotely related to Apple/Mac rumors. The closest correlation is that it may help IBM, which may help Apple in the fairly distant future...

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
No G5... just G4

carletonmusic said:

OK, OK, I second only the "Powerbooks next week" part, but not G5, the PB will get a G4 speed bump and the G5 will see the light by MWSF 05... I'll eat my shoe if a G5 comes next week...and if it does, will eat my shoe while ordering it :) :eek:

but I'm ready for a G4 anyway and don't mind...

I know it was off topic but anyway don't get the whole message of this thread :(

davecuse

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2004
NYC
I really applaud IBM for opening the architecture of their chips. It just means that Apple will be able to grow far superior to MS in a far shorter length of time. I mean who is going to find their destination faster and smoother, the guy with a broken compass or the guy with a GPS locator. It seems like a no brainer to me...

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
nsb3000 said:
Right..and it is amazing how no one predict the things that actually get updated, like todays emacs. I think, given todays update, that New iMacs might be next on the docket.

As for this tidbit of news, I am not really sure what it means, but it seems positive.

Wrong! Actually someone predicted the emac update... far from prediction it was information filtering, predictions are not so exact as that was...

New eMacs tomorrow!

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
We should speculate on the idea of having embedded devices running Mac OS X, or at least Darwin. What devices might Apple want to get their code into? Automated teller machines? Routers? Automobile engines? Refrigerators?

goof_ball

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2003
Canada
The more people working on an architecture has gotta be a good thing.....plus its good to keep PowerPC thriving for Apple.

tace

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2003
USA
;)

It also means, the more people/devices using that architecture than that much more damaging a trojan horse/virus written for those platform(s) could be.

Some of us always think the glass is half empty. :)

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
carletonmusic said:

in such a dry spell for rumors, people are using that as a consistent way to up their post count. that way they can hope to have a higher ranking when news actually starts to pop up. i mean, no one will listen to a newbie complaining that the newest updates were too late/too little/too much seriously, though, WTF?? after this morning's announcement i don't think there is anything that could be announced that would please people. the upgrade was TOO MUCH for the emac? geez...).

/rant

Frobozz

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
South Orange, NJ
Odd

Macrumors said:

Okay, now I don't want to sound negative... because I think this news is GREAT for Apple. However, I wish IBM would define "open." I tend to believe if they were in Intel's market dominant position that they would behave in the same way. History tells us they would, and this type of "open" sharing is odd to me. The term is used loosely. They're going to be the arbitrators of licenses to use their chips, which they maintain all the patents and licenses for. That's not open. That's allowing others to buy a license to your technology which, by definition, is NOT open.

This means IBM is selling it's processors to other companies so they can produce them. In turn, they hope they will eventually get to ubiquity in the marketplace.

Hell, I don't blame them one bit. I like it. But I hate it when things are wolves in sheep's clothing. Sounds like a Microsoft move.

edit: okay I read the article again and it was the poster that implied "opening up" the architecture, not IBM. Still... this is a good move for IBM to build infastructure and in turn get more R&D on the entire PowerPC line.

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
NH
AmigoMac said:
Wrong! Actually someone predicted the emac update... far from prediction it was information filtering, predictions are not so exact as that was...

New eMacs tomorrow!

YEAH! So take that Noob! Jimmy the Oracle was all over that eMac thang. All bow in the presence of the Jimmy.

:)

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
Ahh, so it is the post count that keeps me from showing up as a regular. I like so many others would very much support the idea of these embeded processors running osx on a pda or cell phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.