Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nicely

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2002
Brooklyn, NY - Cobble Hill
At the International Solid State Circuits Conference next week, which runs from Feb. 15-19...

"IBM, meanwhile, will provide details on a Power5 server chip that runs at speeds higher than 1.5GHz, and on a 2.5GHz PowerPC processor, a faster version of the chip currently found in machines from Apple Computer."

here's the link at c/net (news.com)

I hope we'll see those in Power Macs next week too. My credit card is ready.

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
Huh?

Originally posted by Wes
The G5 is based on the Power 4 not the Power 5. Different Chip.
Maybe that's because they are referring to two different chips? They are going to show the power 5. They are *also* going to show the 970FX. Nothing implies that the two chips are related, other than they both come from IBM.

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
Re: Huh?

Originally posted by daveL
Maybe that's because they are referring to two different chips? They are going to show the power 5. They are *also* going to show the 970FX. Nothing implies that the two chips are related, other than they both come from IBM.

I don't doubt the fact that they will show the 970FX, but this article doesn't mention that chip, and the original poster made it sound like the G5 uses a Power 5.

nicely

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2002
Brooklyn, NY - Cobble Hill
The article is talking about the Power5 and the 970FX

I don't doubt the fact that they will show the 970FX, but this article doesn't mention that chip, and the original poster made it sound like the G5 uses a Power 5.

The article does mention the 970...

"IBM, meanwhile, will provide details on a Power5 server chip that runs at speeds higher than 1.5GHz, and on a 2.5GHz PowerPC processor, a faster version of the chip currently found in machines from Apple Computer" (the 970).

I quoted the entire sentence. IBM is providing details on the Power5 as well, but as daveL said, the two chips are not related other than they are both from IBM and that they are in the PowerPC family of processors.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
So will there be any real revelations for Apple with the detail in the announcement this week, or do we have the guts of it?

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
Re: Re: Huh?

Originally posted by Wes
Only if you're not able to understand that ... "jada jada on a something, and on a something else" ... does not refer to the same something :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.