Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
The Register delves a bit into some details of two new manufacturing techniques that IBM has developed.

The two new technologies, 'Strained Silicon Directly on Insulatar' (SSDOI) and Hybrid Orientation Technique (HOT), allow IBM to increase performance (by 40-65%) and decrease power requirements of future chips.

The techniques are being presented at the Internaltion Electron Devices Meeting in December of this year, and is expected to be commercially implemented in the next few years.

IBM manufactures the PowerPC 970 (G5) for Apple's PowerMac line as well as the G3 processor, currently used in the iBook.

.a

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2001
this sounds like powerbooks ... the next generation ... not the next revision :)
.a

Comment

Fender2112

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Re: IBM's Manufacturing Techniques (SSDOI and HOT)

Originally posted by Macrumors
... IBM manufactures the PowerPC 970 (G5) for Apple's PowerMac line as well as the G3 processor, currently used in the iBook.

In case you didn't know already. :rolleyes:

Comment

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Its always good to see how the chips can be made faster, even though we keep hearing about all the issues and the eventual limit being reached with the current materials.

Its only too bad that its going to be a few years before we see this - G6 or G7?

D

Comment

Photorun

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2003
NYC
Now if only Apple could slap the new G3 in the Powerbooks, Apple could just say their G5s, and sell them to shut up all these whining "where's my G5 Powerbook WWAAAAHHH" types.

Comment

york2600

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2002
Portland, OR
Sounds great and all, but anyone remember how long SOI technology took to get to market. It's not like we're going to see this in 6-12 months. Long time from now, but this is still good news.

Comment

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Re: Sure Photo

Originally posted by davidc2182
so what happens when they try to run an altivec optimized app? apple goes oops?

The new G3 is going to have Alitvec. :)

Keep on chuggin' along iBM.

Comment

dguisinger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2002
Re: Re: Sure Photo

Originally posted by Freg3000
The new G3 is going to have Alitvec. :)

Keep on chuggin' along iBM.

Sometimes you guys are.......well I dont know, I dont like to call names.....but sometimes you really are morons.

Seriously.....lets all call it a G3....because its based on the G3 and has AltiVec. You know what? If thats the case, Apple already sells G3 PowerBooks.

Thats right, the only large improvement in the G4 is AltiVec. If IBM slapped AltiVec on a G3 core, it WOULD BE CALLED A G4.

Infact, IBM's would be more advanced most likely in the core design over Motorola's, making it much more worthy of the G4 designator.

Comment

Mr. MacPhisto

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2003
A modded G3 from IBM w/ Altivec might as well be called a G4 - as others have already said. If it provides better FSB support with architectural improvements over Moto's design then it'll sell as a great consumer end chip no matter what the designation. I would never call it a G5, however, because that is understood to refer to a 64-bit chip. I think Apple will not be able to call another 32-bit chip anything other than G4 unless they change the nomenclature.

I also think the G5 will go in the PowerBooks - although the rumors of IBM skipping 90nm and going straight to 60nm may put that off. Last I heard, 60nm was on schedule for production late next year (late Q3 to Q4) and I haven't heard about it being moved up, but it would be amazing if it was - and it could lead to the G5 being used in all Apples if enough variation in speed could be arranged to differentiate the consumer and pro lines enough.

Comment

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
Re: Re: Re: Sure Photo

Originally posted by dguisinger
Sometimes you guys are.......well I dont know, I dont like to call names.....but sometimes you really are morons.

Seriously.....lets all call it a G3....because its based on the G3 and has AltiVec. You know what? If thats the case, Apple already sells G3 PowerBooks.

Thats right, the only large improvement in the G4 is AltiVec. If IBM slapped AltiVec on a G3 core, it WOULD BE CALLED A G4.

Infact, IBM's would be more advanced most likely in the core design over Motorola's, making it much more worthy of the G4 designator.
So would you call it a G4?

Comment

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Originally posted by dguisinger

I'm sorry, I totally missed that. Isn't that what I am saying? Someone said that they should put G3s in the PowerBooks, to which someone else said that the G3s don't have Altivec. So I say that the next incarnation of the G3 will have Altivec on it. Did I imply that a G3 w/Altiec is not a G4? I don't think so....

If you do, I guess I am a "moron."

Comment

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
It still feels strange to see a semiconductor manufacturer work extremely hard to put out great chips...

hint hint moto sucks hint hint. ;)

Good job IBM - put us ahead of Intel and AMD :).

scem0

Comment

cunnin61

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2001
G3 with Altivec... call it a Mobile G5. Who cares if it isn't 64-bit. Just look at Intel chips, it's all about marketing that sounds cool but means nothing.

They stuck with the Pentium name now for 4 generations, when the name was just supposed to be cooler than 586.

Comment

MikeH

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2002
A rose by any other name smells just as sweet...

Who gives a sh*t what the damn chip is called - does it do the job?

Comment

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
Originally posted by doc_mac
Call it a G4+:D

Already got that (although Moto calls it the G4e). It'd have to be G4++, and if you increment G4, you get G5 (really lame programming joke, for those who didn't get it).

btw, this new process tech they're talking about in the article probably isn't going to be around for another few years.

Comment

pilotgi

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
IBM has been very quiet about the development of the G3. I wonder if this is at the request of Apple?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.