Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

IBM's PowerPC 750GX

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
IBM's June 2003 Processor News article discusses the PowerPC 750GX in detail.

The PowerPC 750GX processor is sampling in July 2003 with production targetted in December 2003.

Manufactured in IBM’s advanced 0.13-micron copper process with Silicon-on-Insulator technology, the 750GX will be offered at frequencies up to 1.1 GHz. The 750GX expands the capabilities of the IBM PowerPC 7xx processor family to support more performance-demanding and power-sensitive applications. The new processor is ideally suited for a variety of systems, including networking, communications, storage, imaging, computing and consumer applications.

The 750GX will be offered at up to 1.1GHz and has 1MB of L2 Cache (Twice the 750FX) as well as various architectural improvements -- and is pin compatible with the 750FX.

The iBook currently uses the 750FX Processor which maxes out at 900MHz.

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
So if I read this right, the chip could be used as a chip-to-chip replacement for the 750X? In other words, a quick and painless upgrade for your existing iBook, or buy a new one and reap the benefits either way.

If I understand, then cool. If I don't (which wouldn't suprise me...) then too bad. I'm always game at keeping the legacy machines alive for that much longer.

Comment

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
well anything that makes the ibook a better buy. its good to know ibm is with us, no telling what would happen.

iJon

Comment

xdfgf

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2003
3 Chip lines in Apple Hardware now?

Obviously this announcement doesnt confim that apple will use it, but damn..

G5 on the high end workstation/servers

G4 on the pro laptops and consumer desktops

G3 on the ultra-light ultra portable iBook

Pretty cool that they have several options now:)

Comment

Ensoniq

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Bronx, NY
I think a 200 MHz increase in speed in the iBook, still with no AltiVec, is not much of an upgrade to the iBook. I mean sure...if Apple MUST keep a G3 in there, it's nice to know faster speeds are coming. But this is certainly no reason to rush out and buy a new iBook, or something to be thrilled about.

-- Ensoniq

Comment

PowerBook User

macrumors regular
May 29, 2003
Cool! Faster iBooks! I hope these will have Altivec. 1.1 GHz sounds pretty good, but Apple has been updating iBooks 100 MHz at a time. I wonder if they would switch to a 1 GHz low-end and a 1.1 GHz high-end.

Comment

herocero

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2003
down on the upside
i don't see any altivec stuff in their block diagram. wasn't gobi supposed to be the g3 + altivec? (or was it sahara or whatever it was?)
i sure won't complain about faster chips in anything. bring em on!

Comment

Fender2112

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2002
Charlotte, NC
As good of a place as any to ask...

I keep seeing the term "embedded". What does this mean in reference to CPU chips?

Thanks for letting me ask. I'll go away now.:(

Comment

phampton81

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2002
Re: As good of a place as any to ask...

Originally posted by Fender2112
I keep seeing the term "embedded". What does this mean in reference to CPU chips?

Thanks for letting me ask. I'll go away now.:(

When the CPU is used for applications other than a PC such as a router or hub they call it an embedded chip.

Comment

KEL9000

macrumors member
May 19, 2003
I would like to buy an iBook just not before it has a G4 or equivalent proc.

Comment

rice_web

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Minot, North Dakota
I see this as tremendously helpful for upgrade makers that are starting to push 750FXs into SL iMacs and old G3 towers. I certainly know that this is incentive enough to upgrade my again iMac DV (which can, btw, now be upgraded).

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.