Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

IBM's Push for 65-nm Chip Development

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
eWeek reports that IBM is making a push for 65-nm Chip Development.

According to eWeek, IBM has entered into an agreement with Infineon Technologies AG and Chartered Semiconductor Manufacturing in efforts to reach 65-nm and later, 45-nm chips on 300-mm silicon wafers (pictured here).

Almost 200 engineers will be conducting the work in IBM's Advanced Semiconductor Technology Center in Fishkill, NY.

IBM's PowerPC 970 (G5) is produced utilizing a 130-nm manufacturing process. 90nm process chips are expected from IBM at their new Fishkill plant. This size reduction is referred to as a "die shrink" and allows faster speeds, less heat, and increased manufacturing capacity. Unconfirmed rumors previously pegged 65nm proecss chips to arrive in 2005/2006 -- but this is of unknown reliability.

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
Originally posted by Billy_ca
Why would anyone rate this as negative?
They think Intel is the only company on earth that can design and manufacture CPUs?

A lot of folks in the PC crowd don't realize how much basic chip research IBM does and how many of the recent design advances, like copper, came from IBM.

Comment

mangoduck

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2002
lost at sea
sure are getting a lot of mileage out of that photo...

when we hear an estimated timeframe (and it's shorter than expected), then i'll flip out.

Comment

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
This article is of long term interest. It doesn't suggest any near term specifics.

arn

Comment

mvc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2003
Outer-Roa
Originally posted by Ambrose Chapel
if IBM can achieve this in the near future, it looks like we'll never have to worry about the MHz gap again!

If only it was that simple - but this sort of advance is a requirement just to keep pace. As the features get smaller we are going to be hitting several technological walls at once, so its going to come down to not only who has the best tech solutions (like copper) but who has the throughput and turnover to pay for the unbelievably expensive next generation chip fabs. And intel probably has the jump on IBM there.

In any case, Bloatorola will probably still be trying to get out their latest creaky G4 variant while IBM is creating 3rd generation quantum processors. :p

Comment

actionslacks

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2003
LA
Re: IBM's Push for 65-nm Chip Development

According to eWeek, IBM has entered into an agreement with Infineon Technologies AG and Chartered Semiconductor Manufacturing in efforts to reach 65-nm and later, 45-nm chips on 300-mm silicon wafers (pictured here).[/B]

I love this picture.

Almost 200 engineers will be conducting the work in IBM's Advanced Semiconductor Technology Center in Fishkill, NY.
[/B]

How about at little face time for the other 199 proud wafer makers?

Comment

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
It will be an interesting thing to watch how this plays out. The farther into the future, the smaller the process they try to utilize, the more likely it is that we'll actually see the whole she-bang replaced with something entirely different. When you start getting into 45nm sizes, you are getting into a range where the technological possibilities of fabricating it become smaller and smaller (no pun intended). Meanwhile, there are several other contending technologies that would allow much smaller transistor sizes, etc. So, it will prove to be interesting to see which technology takes the lead on this...

(Incidentally, IBM is already developing some of these other technologies...)

[edit] Here's another good article...
And here's IBM's own take on it...[/edit]

Comment

Ambrose Chapel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Massachusetts
originally posted by mvc
In any case, Bloatorola will probably still be trying to get out their latest creaky G4 variant while IBM is creating 3rd generation quantum processors

:D :D :D

point taken about my blind optimism. still, i feel confident that big blue will keep things good for us.

Comment

Phil Of Mac

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2002
Washington State University
You know, this got me thinking about the days when IBM was the enemy. That and a picture taken at WWDC inspired this:

Attachments

• stevevsmanwithwafer.jpg
    stevevsmanwithwafer.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 1,486
Comment

DrGonzo

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2003
I'm not quite sure what that picture is trying to say, but whatever.

ppc1000 here i come.

Comment

RalphNumbers

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2003
Originally posted by daveL
They think Intel is the only company on earth that can design and manufacture CPUs?

A lot of folks in the PC crowd don't realize how much basic chip research IBM does and how many of the recent design advances, like copper, came from IBM.

No kidding. It's scary how much of modern chip fabrication is either licensed from IBM, based on expired IBM patents, or copied and changed just enough to make suing for patent infringement too much trouble.

People joke about Apple being the unpaid software R&D house for the industry.
That kind of statement would be even more true of IBM and the semiconductor industry.

Too bad they have a tendency to patent things, then not get around to working them into production for years.

Comment

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
I still cant get over the fact that IBM actually is good at semiconductor manufacturing....

Anything looks good after Moto ;).

scem0

Comment

mvc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2003
Outer-Roa
Originally posted by Phil Of Mac
You know, this got me thinking about the days when IBM was the enemy. That and a picture taken at WWDC inspired this:

It looks like steve is saying to himself going "Damn - his ones bigger - I gotta get a wafer enlargement."

See, size IS important Mr Moto! - bigger wafers with smaller dies = higher yield. (Yes, I know its not quite that simple)

Comment

DrGonzo

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2003
Originally posted by scem0
I still cant get over the fact that IBM actually is good at semiconductor manufacturing....

Anything looks good after Moto ;).

scem0

Why not? they've been making mainframes, cpus, and other such hardware for years and years man. They have the experience, the knowledge, and the capability to make very nice products (which as i said before, they've been doing).

Comment

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
If I were a betting man, I'd bet my weenis on an Apple-IBM relationship for the long term. I just can't see Apple going with anybody else, or a need to do so for at least a decade.

I wish Jobs would stare straight into the eyes of the head honcho at Moto, push him over, and sit on his face with his pants down. Then he'll know the kind of crap Apple has put up with over the last few years. "Taste this, assmonkey!!!"

Comment

mim

macrumors 6502
Originally posted by Snowy_River
It will be an interesting thing to watch how this plays out. The farther into the future, the smaller the process they try to utilize, the more likely it is that we'll actually see the whole she-bang replaced with something entirely different. When you start getting into 45nm sizes, you are getting into a range where the technological possibilities of fabricating it become smaller and smaller (no pun intended). Meanwhile, there are several other contending technologies that would allow much smaller transistor sizes, etc. So, it will prove to be interesting to see which technology takes the lead on this...

Incidentally, IBM is already developing some of these other technologies...[edit]

Thanks for bringing this up Snowy. I personally think that IBM are a fantastic long term partner for Apple exactly because of thing like their nano research.

Because they don't just make chips, we'll probably see most of the solutions to smaller & faster processor (or alternatives) come from them, rather than from Intel - especially in the next 3 or 4 years as standard chip manufacturing processes (semi-conductor based) hit their walls, so to speak.

It will be a massive head start for Apple once IBM's nano technologies start leaking into their other departments.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.