Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikesjo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
Vancouver, B.C.
This is my first mac and I was wondering if it's ok to leave it on all the time plugged in?

I usually do this to my PC when I go to bed, just leave it on with it plugged in.

Alternatively, do most of you just put it to sleep and leave it plugged in? That's what I see a lot of members here do, but I don't know if you guys still have it plugged to the power supply.

Thanks, I know I'm being anal :cool:, but it's my first mac :D.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
mikesjo said:
This is my first mac and I was wondering if it's ok to leave it on all the time plugged in?

I usually do this to my PC when I go to bed, just leave it on with it plugged in.

Alternatively, do most of you just put it to sleep and leave it plugged in? That's what I see a lot of members here do, but I don't know if you guys still have it plugged to the power supply.

Thanks, I know I'm being anal :cool:, but it's my first mac :D.

I leave it on, but sleeping. The recent security update brough to an end my new uptime record of over 31 days.

The best thing for you to do with a battery is to use it, the electrons "stagnate" if not used. I plug mine in when I
m using it at my desk with keyboard, mouse, speakers etc attatched. When I want to use it elsewhere I use the battery. If I need extra grunt, I plug it in.

I hope you have calibrated your iBook battery according to the instructions in the manual. Also, download an app called coconutBattery, it will give you a good idea of how your battery is going. For reference, my 12" iBook is 13 months old, has gone through 96 load cycles and the capacity is 98% of the original 4400 mAh.

doucy2

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
i have a g3 700mhz
the only time its get shut down is whne it get updated (not very often)
is it still running the origianl batterty and i get 2hrs out of it

i dont think there is a prob with leaving it on
as long as you close the lid it will sleep

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I'd go with plugged in and sleeping too, just because it won't stay warm/hot all night. Mostly it should fall asleep by itself even if you leave it on, although mine won't if Adium is connected to an IM server because it stays active.

But anyway, the computer is designed to not charge the battery unless it falls to 95% of full charge. So when the battery is charged up and the computer is plugged in, there shouldn't really be any negative impact on battery life to leave it on or asleep. :)

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
Chundles said:
For reference, my 12" iBook is 13 months old, has gone through 96 load cycles and the capacity is 98% of the original 4400 mAh.

What the heck? My iBook's 4 months old and has 42 load cycles and is at 94% capacity. Is this because of my high load cycles?

crazycat

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2005
I keep mine on a lot, not as much as other people but its on a lot. I swicth it off when i know i will not use it that day.

MatthewCobb

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2005
Manchester, UK
Think of the planet!

If you're not using it, turn the damn thing off! It's like leaving a device on standby - it eats up current. That has to come from somewhere, and in most cases, that somewhere will make the earth a tiny bit warmer. Do your bit and turn it off!

buryyourbrideau

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2005
Chicago
Holy ****!

My iBook is 10 months old and my current capacity status is 88 percent!!!

the mah is 3888 and the original was 4400.

Ive had 56 load cycles. Man this sucks :(

xappeal

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2005
Brisbane - Australia
Use it

The best way to keep your battery happy is to use it. Plus who doesn't love using their Mac, I don't know if I've ever left it off for a whole day...

15 months, 327 load cycles, 4059 of 4400.... not too shabby.

gallivant

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2004
It's not about "electrons" stagnating - there aren't any electrons being stored in a battery, except inasmuch as there's atoms that make up the battery and of course there's electrons there. It has to do with the chemical properties of Lithium-Ion batteries, which are best stored long-term at about 40%.

dmetzcher

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2005
NJ
My iBook is very rarely off. I use it every day, so, each night when I go to bed, I sleep it. It's easier to get moving the next day when I need to use it, and the iBooks are designed to be left on all the time (in sleep mode when you are not using it). To give the display a rest (and prolong its life), sleep the machine and you'll be fine. If you are not using it for several days, you should shut it down. Someone else can answer this question: If you are not using it for a few days, and you shut it down, should the battery be removed? I've heard that it should if you are shutting down for weeks or months, but what about for a few days? Can you leave the battery in there and be OK in terms of battery life? My guess is yes, but someone else might have more information. I never fail to use it for that long, so I don't worry about it.

Seasought

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2005
Chundles said:
For reference, my 12" iBook is 13 months old, has gone through 96 load cycles and the capacity is 98% of the original 4400 mAh

Yikes. Mine is 2 months old and is at 96% of it's original 4500 mAh...37 load cycles. Must...retain...charge.

I'm paranoid I guess.

Edit #2: Ok, now CoconutBattery says 98%; I guess it's a fluctuating statistic.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
The purpose of having a 12" iBook is because I take it places, etc. This means I probably turn off/reboot 5 times /day. I mean, if you can seriously leave it on 24/7...you should probably get a desktop.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
ITASOR said:
The purpose of having a 12" iBook is because I take it places, etc. This means I probably turn off/reboot 5 times /day.
Why don't you just put it to sleep?

When I'm taking my iBook somewhere, I always just close the lid, thereby putting it to sleep, unplug the power and put the second skin on it. Ready to go! :)

Never had any problems with that. Even managed to slip and fall, landing on the iBook (in the backpack), twice :)o), and it's still going strong...

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
I don't know if I'm doing to good...

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    84.4 KB · Views: 155

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
Why don't you just put it to sleep?

When I'm taking my iBook somewhere, I always just close the lid, thereby putting it to sleep, unplug the power and put the second skin on it. Ready to go! :)

Never had any problems with that. Even managed to slip and fall, landing on the iBook (in the backpack), twice :)o), and it's still going strong...

IDK, it takes a max of 30 seconds to boot, and sometimes I live it in the car in the cold/hot weather and just feel better when it's off. It just seems pointless to have it sleep for a 1 hour car ride when it could be OFF using 0% battery power. UNLESS...I have windows open that I need to keep that way until I finish what I'm doing. In that case, I would sleep it.

terriyaki

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2005
Vancouver
i usually have mine sleeping as well

waking from sleep is easier on the hard drive and the battery when compared to a cold boot

stevep

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2004
UK
MatthewCobb said:
If you're not using it, turn the damn thing off! It's like leaving a device on standby - it eats up current. That has to come from somewhere, and in most cases, that somewhere will make the earth a tiny bit warmer. Do your bit and turn it off!
Well said that man. But don't forget that Bush is too stupid to ratify the Kyoto agreement. So lots of Americans still think its ok to leave all their electrical stuff on standby.
The sad thing is that I suspect that the majority of Brits do too though.

dops7107

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
Perth, Oztrailya
MatthewCobb said:

Generally I agree. I don't know how effective it would be for a notebook however, unless you also physically pull out the power cord from the wall socket. Those external power supplies are still warm even when the machine is turned off, suggesting they still pull current.

I am pleased that my Mini is quite a green computer, however ;)

newmaccanada

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2005
Where I live it can go down to -25-30C. I commute on the bus. When my ibook is going to be out with me walking and bus waiting, I do turn it off. Otherwise I sleep it/rebooting only after running Onyx or update.

randas

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2005
I leave my G3 900 on all the time and I have no problesm. However my batter only lasts 45 minutes is this normal? My computers not that old!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.