Ibook Battery - What is the best way to Drain it to 0 % ?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by maclover7777, Aug 2, 2009.

1. maclover7777 macrumors newbie

I am trying to calibrate a battery for an Ibook G4.
    Though even when it gets low and the book shuts down I want to make sure it is all the way drained.

I read only one place where someone attached the battery to a little light bulb? I do not know how to do that though?

IF someone else know how or had other ideas I would appreciate it.

THANKS

2. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

Leave it running until it goes to sleep. Then, just leave it asleep until it shuts off :)

3. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

iBooks and PowerBook G4s other than the PowerBook G4 (15-inch Double-Layer SD)

1. Plug the power adapter in and fully charge your computer's battery until the battery indicator lights turn off and the adapter plug light goes from amber to green, which indicates that the battery is fully charged.
    2. Disconnect the power adapter and use your iBook or PowerBook. When your battery gets low, you will see the low battery warning dialog on the screen. Continue to use your computer until it goes to sleep. At that point the battery has been sufficiently drained for calibration.
    3. Connect the power adapter and leave it connected until the battery is fully charged again.

Since the older iBook/Powerbook computers don't have the smart charging circuitry protection that the newer units and the MacBooks have, you actually don't want to deplete the computer beyond when it sleeps. Over discharging a rechargeable battery can actually render it ruined and you won't be able to recharge it.