iBook before July?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by AliensAreFuzzy, May 30, 2004.

  1. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000


    May 30, 2004
    Madison, WI
    My brother is interested in getting a new laptop because his old one is, well, old. We looked around and found that an iBook would suit him perfectly. My question is should we wait until WWDC to see if they release updates or lower prices?
  2. Finiksa macrumors 6502a


    Feb 23, 2003
    The iBook was just updated, I wouldn't expect another update for at least 6 months. Traditionally prices only move at the time of an update so don't expect any price drops, though Apple do occasionally offer promos that can save you some money but they're pretty rare.
  3. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816


    Nov 30, 2003
    it seems not many people even know about the recent ibook updates since so many are asking if they should buy. maybe apple should put the word out more.
  4. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a


    Mar 22, 2004
    United States
    There's no need to wait for WWDC. The prducts that are going to be updated are the PMs, iMacs and iPods. Get it now, you won't regret it.

  5. jhomayne macrumors regular

    Mar 1, 2004
    bah.. i dont need an ibook till september..

    but i want one now!!!


    and i guarantee that if i bought one now, come september the ibooks would be sporting G6 chips and 5gb of RAM... :rolleyes:
  6. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

    Jul 9, 2003
    probably in october (once all the educational orders are filled) a new ibook will be released, will probably be just a faster G4 chip like the ones in the current powerbooks which should hopefully be G5 by then

  7. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a


    Mar 22, 2004
    United States
    I think that everyone here feels that they have that same curse :rolleyes: . So why aren't there updates every day? :confused:

  8. Butler Trumpet macrumors 6502

    Butler Trumpet

    May 26, 2004
    Dekalb IL
    I would wait... what could it hurt, its only a month away. Im going through the same thing, and the way I see it... yeah the iBooks insides were updated not to long ago, I knew that, but there is always a posibility that Steve will have ALL new apple laptops. New design for both the Powerbook AND the iBook. So I'm gonna wait, and I think you should too.
  9. nina macrumors member

    May 27, 2004
    Good advice! However, don't forget the alternative: if brand new designs for the iBook/Powerbook are announced, they will be Revision A hardware. If you're a fearless early adopter, that's fine! But I have no problem getting my first Mac right now - a 12" Powerbook, ordered today - since the design has been refined and all the kinks have been ironed out over the last two revisions.

    So even if new models are announced, I (personally) would wait for at least Revision B models before I'd buy. Therefore, I'm buying now :p
  10. Nybombers142 macrumors member

    Mar 25, 2004
    What? why would jobs put the same inerds of the iBook in a new design? That does make sence. there will definetly NOT be any new updates before july. GET REAL!!!
  11. James L macrumors 6502a

    Apr 14, 2004
    If you go to the link above for the buyers guide and scroll down to the iBook section, you will see that virtually every iBook release has been in April/May and in Oct/Nov.

    They were just update April 19th. Either buy now a month after an update, or wait 5 months until the next one.

    Either way, enjoy!

Share This Page