iBook G3 Unable to Connect to WiFi after new router

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by yanksrock100, Jun 12, 2012.

1. yanksrock100, Jun 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2012

yanksrock100 macrumors 6502a

yanksrock100

I bought a new router yesterday, since my old one kept dropping Wifi. Got it all set up, and it was working great on my iPod, tablet, and brothers laptop. Now I went to my iBook, and it is unable to connect at all! It just says "There was an error joining the AirPort network", for the million times I have tried.

Im guessing that since it is a new router, it is unable to connect to the iBook, since its older.
    Is there a way to make it connect?

iBook g3: 10.4.11 Tiger
    Wifi router : WPA2 protection

2. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

What OS are you running on the iBook? Also, what protection scheme is the router set to? (WPA, WPA2, etc.)

Chances are that you may be running too old an OS for your iBook to support more modern protection schemes on routers.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That error is caused by the network being set to WPA2 only mode and some b+g+n wireless modes can cause it as well. Your network needs to be setup to WPA+WPA2 mode and the iBook must be running Mac OS 10.3.9 or newer to be able to connect to a WPA network. If you're still getting the error, try turning off the N wireless mode if your router has N.

4. yanksrock100 thread starter macrumors 6502a

yanksrock100

I am running 10.4.11 Tiger. It says on the box "WPA2 protection".
    Is there a way to change this?

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The original Airport card in the iBook G3 cannot use WPA2. You must set your wireless router to WPA+WPA2 mode to be able to make it connect.