iBook G4 800: Video out questions

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Siefer, Nov 24, 2003.

  1. Siefer macrumors newbie

    Nov 9, 2003
    I have a few questions concerning usage of the video out ability to a tv:

    -I am aware that you need an adaptor (which I know where to buy) to get video out to Composite and S-video compatible tv's. My question rather, is if I can use the Composite cables from my Playstation 1 (2nd generation, this is still when they were using yellow/red/white plugs for BOTH ends, input into the PS1 and output to the tv) for the video out. I've used the cables to hook up tv's and dvd players without a hitch (well, it wasn't for any extended period of time though) so I was just curious if I could apply it here without a problem. In theory, it should work fine, but I was wondering if I needed a specific composite wire (since I can only use the video (yellow) plug anyway with the video adaptor) to connect it to tv's without a problem. If I do, does anyone know where I could get one? Radioshack?

    -Having video out is nice and dandy, but it would also be fantastic if i could get sound with it too. To my understanding, you would need to connect something into the audio output to get....audio out to a tv. My question is: Can I use the A/V out plug that I've been using with my iBook 500, first gen. icebook, for JUST the audio plugs? The plug itself would fit in fine into the audio out, but I'm not sure if this would damage my computer in any way. If not, can anyone tell me where to purchase something like this? This I know I probably can't buy at a radioshack...

    Just as a note, I'm not looking for "Monster" quality cables here, I dont have that much to spend. Just anything, as long as it works and doesn't damage my system, will be fine. Thank you for any/all help and time.

  2. pinto32 macrumors 6502

    Oct 19, 2003
    You can use those RCA extension cables for both audio and video with no problems at all. The yellow video cable is obviously taken care of by the DVI (or whatever it is) adapter. As for the audio, radioshack sells simple adapters for a few bucks that will convert your 1/8 inch audio out port into the red and white RCA cables. Just go to Radioshack and tell one of the salespeople what you are doing, and they will give you exactly what you want (just make sure the audio adapter is stereo, as they come in both mono and stereo flavors).

    This is how I have my brother's homegrown PC set up....he uses his component stereo system for all his audio, and has his TV available for DVD viewing....

Share This Page