Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Patrick Bateman

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2003
This has now happened twice so it's not the biggest problem in the world but I'd like to know if there's a fix or maybe someone has had the same experience. I will close my G4 ibook and the sleep light will not turn on like usual and then I know something is wrong. I will wait just to make sure it's not running to sleep slow and when it doesn't sleep the thing is just off or something. It doesn't respond to anything. I can't turn the power on or off with the power button and can't get any sounds out of it. Have to disconnect the battery and reconnect to get it to work. At that point it's fine and back to normal. I hope it doesn't happen a third time. Any suggestions? Thanks.

jonu

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2003
I've had this happen to me 2 or 3 times as well. I had another incident where it went to sleep, but just gave me a black screen and was unresponsive once I woke it up. It would then eventually go back to sleep. I also had to remove the battery each time to get it going again.

I called Apple about this and they ran me through some sort of reset procedure. I haven't had the problem since, but given that it is intermitent, I don't know if it is fixed. They said that if I had further problems, I should try removing my extra RAM (installed by the seller) to make sure that was not the problem.

I may had had a USB device connected once when this happened, but not the other times.

aproud

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2004
ibook sleep problem

patrick,
i had the sleep problem as well. when closing the lid, the screen goes blank about 3/4 of the way down and when fully closed the computer does not sleep. When you reopen, the screen remains blank and you can't do anything.. what is actually happening is the computer is still on, but the screen is blacked out. if you hold power for 5 seconds or so, the computer will shut off and you can hear this happen. the problem you are facing is there is some sort of switch in the computer that is not functioning correctly. i had to send my computer away and applecare had to fix. they sent me a box within 2 days and after sending back, i received my computer in about 5 days. the problem was fixed and now the ibook sleeps perfectly when the lid is closed. give them a call and they will give you all the details you need. good luck

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.