Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sotied

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2003
Boston
Just got an iBook and want to know if it's of any benefit to get a cooling base for it.

Seen some online that are either just hard plastic with nubs to allow air to pass under or some that have actual USB-powered fans in them.

Thoughts???

They retail for between $11 and $999, most hanging at $30-$40. Are they a scam?

Thanks,

Jeff

sotied

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2003
Boston
Cooling pad - another question

The sites I've been to don't list weights. Does anyone know if they're really heavy?

The last thing I want to do is carry around another 4-6lbs...totally negating a prime reason I went with my iBook.

Jeff

18thTomorrow

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2004
The Alpha Quadrant
Meh, I have an iBook and it doesn't heat up very much. I've never felt the need for a cooling pad. I use it for apps such as Photoshop CS and Dreamweaver, so it's not like i'm a light-duty user, either.

If you want to know exactly how hot your machine is running, there's a nifty app out there called "Temperature Monitor" that runs in your dock and tells you what your machine's current temperature is. My machine tends to hover around 103f for light use and tops out around 135 when I'm doing heavy-use stuff. It also heats up faster if I'm using it on my lap, in bed, etc. where the ventilation around the bottom isn't so good.

Hope this helps.

sotied

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2003
Boston
original post edited - 4PM Thursday

See Title. I edited this post to be more clear. Please leave your feedback.

Thanks,

Jeff

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.