Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rocketmunkee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2004
Greetings,

iBook G4 933MHz 14" (slot load), 640MB RAM. Doesn't matter which programs are running and the left side of the iBook gets really hot to the touch. I have tried elevating the iBook off the table and have even considered getting macmice.com's iBreeze to help keep it cool. But even under normal operation this book should not get this hot, should it?

This morning I was playing iPoker for 30 minutes and the book was waaay too warm.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
They warm up on that side and it's normal. How hot is too hot though? If the plastic melts then it's definitly too hot. The left side, particularly on the bottom, can get pretty warm before the fan even comes on. Not a problem though.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
just chill :)
and get something like Griffin Technology's iCurve.

You havent mentioned any fans or loud noise, so i guess its not getting that hot? iBooks esp. the left side (hard drive, iirc) get hot. Its normal.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
I thought the hottest part was the processor? BTW, my wife's iBook is not uncomfortable at all to use for long periods of time.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Originally posted by mactastic
I thought the hottest part was the processor? BTW, my wife's iBook is not uncomfortable at all to use for long periods of time.
ahhhh....well mine is. and i'm assuming its the hard drive. processors get sorta hot, but the G3 processor doesnt have much of a heat problem, the G4s do.

The iCurve is nice (having owned one for some time), but all you really need is a book or something :p no need to spend money on something really unnecessary.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.