Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gizmo_pony

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2005
i wonder how to maintain the internet connection (adsl) when i close the lid and my ibook at sleep ?

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
If your iBook is put to sleep you won't be able to stay connected to the internet.

Why would you want to be connected when your computer is asleep?

gizmo_pony

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2005
munkle said:
If your iBook is put to sleep you won't be able to stay connected to the internet.

Why would you want to be connected when your computer is asleep?

i am a heavy downloader ... i want to close the lid while my it downloading ...
:)

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
There's a hack somewhere out there which will let you close the lid of an iBook without it sleeping but it's not recommended since a lot of the heat generated by the hard drive, the GPU and the CPU is dissipated through the keyboard.

If an iBook is sleeping then I think it'll only supply power to the RAM so you wouldn't be able to sleep and download.

Sorry, but I think the best option is to just leave the lid open. :eek:

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Turn the screen brightness settings down to lowest in either the System Preferences or using the keyboard shortcuts (I forget which F~ keys they are). This is pretty strongly recommended so as to conserve power and potential screen life. :)

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
Like MadJew said, dimming the screen might be your best bet.

i don't know if it applies to iBooks but I can use my PB in clamshell mode (lid closed) by attaching an external keyboard/monitor. Not really recommended though, as these are pretty hot little things.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
munkle said:
i don't know if it applies to iBooks but I can use my PB in clamshell mode (lid closed) by attaching an external keyboard/monitor.

The PowerBooks were designed with clamshelling in mind (is that even a word :p ) whereas the iBooks were not. The PowerBooks have different heat dissipation techniques/routes so it's much less of a problem. I would never use clamshell mode on my iBook.

gizmo_pony

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2005
thanks for all answers ... maybe i should just open up the lcd and turn down the brightness ... :rolleyes:

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
gizmo_pony said:
thanks for all answers ... maybe i should just open up the lcd and turn down the brightness ... :rolleyes:
Sometimes the simples solutions are the best... :)

mad jew said:
The PowerBooks were designed with clamshelling in mind (is that even a word :p ) whereas the iBooks were not. The PowerBooks have different heat dissipation techniques/routes so it's much less of a problem. I would never use clamshell mode on my iBook.
If clamshelling isn't a word, it dang well should be! :p

gizmo_pony

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2005
got one quick question about safari ...

how to refresh all the tabs simultaneously ?

thank you

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
This is just disappointing! Hopefully it'll all be fixed in 10.4.3... :p

Attachments

• Clamshelling.jpg
    Clamshelling.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 233
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.