Ibook making squeeking noises

kaltsasa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2002
Kellogg IA
I'm on An ibook 500 and it is making random squeeking noises. Like a rubber duck. Any ideas what is going on?

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
Does it happen when you close a file or a window or anything like that?
Does it happen any other way? Im assuming thats the default sound option you have on there. You just simply need to go to sounds and adjust it to a sound of your choose if thats the case. Dont worry i dont think you need any WD 40.:)

menoinjun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2001
Actually it's a little known fact that Apple has been shipping all of their iBooks with miniature rubber ducks inside. It's some sort of Sesame Street promotional gimmick. Ignore it, and resist the temptation to take a bath with your iBook.

-Pete

kaltsasa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2002
Kellogg IA
Trust me this has me stumped(i work at a high school and i've seen everything from those extensions that make every 15 letters type a wrong letter to a pice of ham stuck in a cd drive....must have been hungary lol), its running mac os x, 256 megs ram....I've looked at all the standard options(this sound isnt even in the system sounds) And I don't think its application specific tho its done it 3 times when using msn messenger, but the sound is not in messenger either.........So no one else has had this problem? hmmmm

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
From where in the iBook does the sound originate? I have a PowerBook which emits a constant faint buzzing noise from an area which seems like it's slightly to the right of the CPU. It's definitely not coming from the modem or the speakers, but it's strange, because I can't see any apparent sound-emitting thingy on the motherboard. Sometimes it pauses as I hold the mouse button down... Hrm. I just thought maybe it was related to your iBook's rubber-ducky noise.

Alex

kaltsasa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2002
Kellogg IA
Its a genuine sound coming from the speakers....at first i thought it was the hd makin weired nosies, or i was going crazy but then more people heard it.

kaltsasa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2002
Kellogg IA
i'm at work right now so i cant say if its doing it any more but if it does i will post imeediadly......lol prolly some silly virius.....tho we do have nortons

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
A few questions I have:

- Does the sound happen in OS 9 as well?
- Does the sound play only while other sounds are playing?
- Does the sound play while a CD is being played (from a drive that supports digital audio transfer)?
- Does the sound happen only while the hard disk or CD-ROM is being accessed?

This is very weird indeed. My only hunch based upon the above questions is that something else in the system is sharing the sound chip's DMA channel, which might cause these squeaking noises you describe. I once had a PC with a sound card that had bad Linux drivers and the sound card would emit chirps whenever I accessed an IDE hard drive because the drive shared a DMA channel with the sound card. The thing is, though, this sound card was an ISA card, and the chip inside the iBook is on the PCI bus. And I'm under the impression that DMA conflicts are rare on PCI. (And I don't know Mac hardware very well, maybe Macs don't even use DMA in the same way... oh well, this post may have been totally useless. Sorry.) :)

Alex