Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thinkofthestars

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2004
Las Vegas, NV
I bought a new iBook G4 933Mhz in February of this year, and I'm ready to upgrade my RAM. I just have the standard 256MB right now. I took a look on the Apple site and I see that there are two options. I can buy another 256MB card for $100 or a 512MB card for $200. My question is, if I spring for the 512MB card, will my laptop be able to use both it and my original 256MB card and bring my total RAM to 768MB? Or do I have to totally replace my original card with the 512MB card? I guess it all depends on whether I have one or two RAM slots, or whatever you call them. Could someone tell me, please?

Thanks.

rinseout

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2004
First, don't buy your memory from Apple. Buy it from crucial.

[edit: I neglected to take note of the model ibook you had, so the advice below is correct and mine (edited out) wasn't. sorry.]

ChrisFromCanada

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2004
Hamilton, Ontario (CANADA)
You have 2 RAM slots 1 of which is soldered in. Right now you have 2 128Mb chips so you could exchange one of them for a 512 and have a total of 640 Mb. And acconding to this the maximum you can have is 640, so, that is the upgrade you should do. As for prices, apple is overcharging as usual. Crucial has the Ram you need for about half the price

thinkofthestars

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2004
Las Vegas, NV
Awesome. I thought I had one 256MB card rather than 2 128MB cards, so it's good I asked. At $137 for a 512MB card, I'll definitely be going through Crucial. Thanks for saving me $70.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
And if you go through OWC, you don't have to play the web browser pricing games from Crucial. A 512mb memory module is only $99 at OWC. And many of users have had no problems with OWC.

To me given the variable pricing depending on the web browser means that Crucial is non-crucial at this time.

IMO, say no to Crucial and Micron....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.