Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

purell16

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 29, 2004
Someone please help me decide on an iBook or Powebook. I am a junior in high school just to let you know so I am not going to use my laptop for video editing or creating my own music or anything like that. In fact, I have nevr had an apple computer but am completely obsessed with them. I am currently a Windows XP user and I hate it. I ahev talked to plenty of Mac users and they love it, so I am planning on switching. I just can not decide on whether to get the New iBooks or a Powerbook. I only have $1,700 to spend, so its limited. I am looking for a laptop to use for school, so Office applications, and surfing the internet, and of course, talking to friends on Aim. Just normal teenage stuff. So please, give me your opinion. iBook or Powerbook, and if you choose an iBook please let me know which size....Feel free to share your stories of your iBook or Laptop, or if youre just like me and just switched, tell me all about it!!

Thanx alot!
-Jason

dragula53

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
price

you have a pretty low price limit

after taxes, a 12" powerbook will be approx 1700.

then you don't take into account the ram, the isight, the ipod, etc that can go with it!

a 12" ibook is close enough in performance, you just miss out on some of the elegance.

I say 12" ibook, because a powerbook with no extra ram will perform much crappier than an ibook with an extra gig of ram, which will still be less than the price difference.

if you had 2,000, I'd say powerbook.

moo

Brettla

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2004
Monona,WI
I think you should get an iBook, i would think that the 14" would be a good one so you have the larger screen. From what you say you are going to use it for, you really don't need to spend the extra money for a pro machine.

abc123

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2004
i went with a powerbook
1. only about $200 more than the ibook i was looking at before the price drop
2. it was a gift (i was not paying)
3. hopefully it will see me through uni and then some before it goes horribly out of date
4. looks nicer

Ph4lynx

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2004
University Place
i got the powerbook
it was basically the best cheap config at the time
combodrive
512mb ram
air extreme card (before they were built in)
that all came to about $1900 plus tax

I also bought all of the other cool stuff (ipod, isight, lacie external hd, and pro backpack) thats not included in the $1900 fyi, but i find that having all of the accesories is a really good way to do it. if i were in your budget i would get the ibook and the accesories. macs are the best thing since sliced bread anyway

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.