Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ileana

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2004
I am looking into buying a Mac, but I need advice on which one would be better. I want a laptop basically just for writing and carrying around on trips, to class, etc. I won't be using it for the internet (excpet when traveling). I have never had a Mac before (though at school I use them frequently) so any advice would be helpful :)

I really like the Powerbook, but if it's not too different than an iBook, I might get the iBook.

What do you suggest?

pxlshftr

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2004
get the ibook.

Get the iBook. It will be great for the tasks you described, and the product line just got updated, so you'll be getting a brand new machine! Not to mention the battery lasts longer on iBooks...

dav

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2004
iBook, hands down

(This thread can now be locked)

~ Unless you..

- Have money to burn and like aluminum
- Want a nicer feeling keyboard (for $400)

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
For your needs the iBook will be more than adequate. Especially since the line juts got updated, there are fewer differences between the iBooks and PowerBooks now, and the differences that do exist are none that you would be concerned with from the sounds of things. Plus, as I said, the iBooks have just been updated, so you'd have the added bonus of buying a brand new machine!

Don't get me wrong, the PowerBooks are very slick, especially the 17", but it sounds like they would be overkill for what you would need it for, especially if you're not even going to be on the Net much with it.

I'd say definitely go with the iBook and save yourself the few extra $$$ from not buying the PowerBook - then use that extra money to buy an iPod or something. ;) :cool:

debroglie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2004
Philadelphia, PA
If you want a 12 inch, go for the iBook

If you want anything larger, get the powerbook. The larger screen of the 14 inch iBook is pointless, in my opinion,as it is the same resolution as the 12 inch. Also, the widescreen of the 15 and 17 inchers is SOO nice!

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says...at this point in time, I would have to agree with the rest - the price/performance difference gives the nod to the new iBook, especially for your particular usage....oh yeah!

mms

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2003
CA
Actually, by the sound of it it seems like you don't even need a new one. I'm sure you could get a previous generation model pretty cheap at some dealer and use the difference for RAM if you want to save.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
mms said:
Actually, by the sound of it it seems like you don't even need a new one. I'm sure you could get a previous generation model pretty cheap at some dealer and use the difference for RAM if you want to save.

True, but you always want something that's a little more than you need, for future-proofing considerations. I always recommend people get a machine that they will grow into, so it will last the longer than usual and they won't have to worry about upgrading an "outdated" machine a short time thereafter. Even though Ileana may not need all the iBook's features just yet, need it's power, need the wireless abilities etc. etc., eventually he/she might.

I think a nice new iBook is definitely the way to go, especially since they're at an excellent price point right now and have just been updated! There's just something sweet about a brand new machine too - maybe it's the smell... ;) :cool:

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
i use the same logic as well, but is it still valid if the two products are almost identical, except for looks?

of course the new iBooks still don't have the proper GPU to allow Core image, but i guess for web and mail work, it doens't matter at all.

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2004
What's Your Favorite Posish
yeah i would say you will be able to pic up a refurb 1ghz 12inch for a good price... there are a lot of things that are better about the powerbook...but for your needs then the ibook is fine...however the powerbook isnt just a 400 dollar keyboard...

go ibook...i would

Ileana

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2004
Thank you for all the help! Even though a used one would be cheaper, I want a new one. There's just something about owning a computer that's never been used :) And I think I am going to go with the iBook and with money I save I'll buy another thing.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
No problem at all - that's what all of us here at MacRumors are for. If you have any other questions, just ask.

And I think you'll be extremely satisfied with your new iBook - I think you're making an excellent decision. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.