Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac|Photo

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 28, 2004
MI
Can the newest revision of the iBook handle the features of PS.CS or is that too much to handle? I have yet to purchase and have been hesitant based on the speculation of a PB update, but the sounds of that are no sooner than Jan.05, if then. I am heading to France for an extended period in end March.05 and definately want to get this prior to leaving. I am a hobbie-photographer and need PS.CS to run decently well to save my sanity.
So, to sum I guess if I want to do all the basic notebook functions like browsing and the M$ office crap and also use PS.CS and possibly some light gaming (although I realize PB and iB are not intended for this, so I am not expecting too much) is the iB going to be enough or should I set my sights on a PB?
Thanks in advance, and sorry about the length, I don't know when to stop typing :p
First mac btw, part of the hesitation is in wanting to do things right...

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
Thta depends on how you define usable. I use Photoshop CS on my old G4 500 MHz and it runs fine. Sure it might take a while to run some filters and stuff, but it works okay for me. But I am not running huge files or RAW images either, so I don't know how it would perform then. I think an iBook would be fine if you don't mind it taking 30 sec. instead of 10 sec. for some operations, but I don't know how you plan to use it exactly. Whatever you do, get as close to 1GB of RAM (or more) as you can afford.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
Both the ibook and the 12" powerbook handle photoshop cs great.
If you are working with large pix, be sure to get much RAM.

The only drawback with those macs and ps is that their screens are just too small, almost unusable for photoshop...

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
it works fine and dandy on my 1ghz 12" pb with 512mg of ram. it sails thorough things. but it is installed on my nice ecternal 7200rpm hdd though!

Mac|Photo

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 28, 2004
MI
cluthz said:
The only drawback with those macs and ps is that their screens are just too small, almost unusable for photoshop...

I should have mentioned that I have a 20" display I can use with it, which is why other than my trip overseas, the 12" doesn't bother me...although it will be a pain to edit on 12 inches :(

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
Mac|Photo said:
I should have mentioned that I have a 20" display I can use with it, which is why other than my trip overseas, the 12" doesn't bother me...although it will be a pain to edit on 12 inches :(

You know that ibook only supports video-mirroring?
(its an easy hack to enable dual screen spanning on it..)
The Powerbook has native spanning and DVI!! The ibook only has VGA output..

Mac|Photo

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 28, 2004
MI
cluthz said:
You know that ibook only supports video-mirroring?
(its an easy hack to enable dual screen spanning on it..)
The Powerbook has native spanning and DVI!! The ibook only has VGA output..

I didn't know this, and I frankly don't know what video mirroring is :p
I knew the PBooks had a DVI and the iBooks only a vga, but what are the monitoring differences? Would they still both work on an external display?

justinshiding

macrumors member
May 7, 2004
Chicago, IL
Mac|Photo said:
I didn't know this, and I frankly don't know what video mirroring is :p
I knew the PBooks had a DVI and the iBooks only a vga, but what are the monitoring differences? Would they still both work on an external display?

I'll take a crack at this since I have nothing else to do :)

Mirroring is basically directly copying (mirroring) what the laptops display would have. So if the ibook has a max resoloution of 1024x768 that is what would show on the external display that you have it attached to. The powerbook actually allows you to display a higher res on the external dispay.

hmm 1024x768 on a 20 inch screen *shudder*

That being said you can easily hack the ibook to allow for that as well :) as someone said above.

stevehaslip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
The Ocean Floor
justinshiding said:
I'll take a crack at this since I have nothing else to do :)

Mirroring is basically directly copying (mirroring) what the laptops display would have. So if the ibook has a max resoloution of 1024x768 that is what would show on the external display that you have it attached to. The powerbook actually allows you to display a higher res on the external dispay.

hmm 1024x768 on a 20 inch screen *shudder*

That being said you can easily hack the ibook to allow for that as well :) as someone said above.

he/shes right. The only thing you really have to consider is if you want a dvi out or a vga out. It doesn't really make a difference if you are using a crt as you will probably have an analogue (vga) input. But if you have an lcd display then you may want to opt for the Powerbook because it may make some difference if you are mirroring or using an extended desktop at a very high resolution. All in all i don't think it makes that much difference for me but its always better to have a better quality connection.

and yeah it will handle photoshop no problem, but watch out for the resolution factor. Although epose makes things alot easier now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.