iBook Ram Installation: Screwdriver?

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
What screwdriver have you been sucessful with when installing Ram into your iBook? I was able to get one unscrewed, but the other is locked in. Any advice. Where can I buy supersmall screwdrivers? I have down to a #1 phillips, but is too big. Where can I get a smaller one?

wsteineker

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2001
Montgomery, AL
You need to swing by Radio Shack and pick up a set of small phillips head screwdrivers. They're somewhere in the neighborhood of $5, and they're invaulauble. I can't tell you how often they've come in handy.

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
also, jewelers screwdrivers are great. you should be able to pick up something along those lines at any LensCrafters, since thats what people use to fix their glasses as well.

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
A word of caution:

Screws ain't what they used to be. It's remarkably easy to strip out the head of a phillips. I reccomend that you see if you can find both a small "pointy" phillips and a small "blunt" phillips and really get obsessive about which one really fits nicely. Once you're sure it's exact.... be very gentle in breaking it loose. A gradual increase in pressure works best to bust the thred-lok that assembly people are so fond of applying to every screw...:rolleyes:

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
Re: A word of caution:

Originally posted by mischief
Screws ain't what they used to be. It's remarkably easy to strip out the head of a phillips. I reccomend that you see if you can find both a small "pointy" phillips and a small "blunt" phillips and really get obsessive about which one really fits nicely. Once you're sure it's exact.... be very gentle in breaking it loose. A gradual increase in pressure works best to bust the thred-lok that assembly people are so fond of applying to every screw...:rolleyes:
Exactly what I am looking to do. Were should I buy? Sears, Radio Shack etc?

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
Originally posted by GeeYouEye
Don't bother with the philipshead, just use a flathead. It's easier to find ones small enough to work, and they work just as well.
Believe me I have tried.

buffsldr

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2001
If you got to http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=111918, you will see Apple recommends the #0 Phillips screwdriver.

I went to Home Depot and asked someone to find it for me. I did pay $5 for a set of small drivers that I used once, but maybe I can find a use for them again.

As someone else said, do be careful, the screws are easy to strip if you are not very careful.

buffsldr

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2001
If you got to http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=111918, you will see Apple recommends the #0 Phillips screwdriver.

I went to Home Depot and asked someone to find it for me. I did pay $5 for a set of small drivers that I used once, but maybe I can find a use for them again.

As someone else said, do be careful, the screws are easy to stroip if you are not very careful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.