Bluetooth, no Bluetooth
1GHz, no 1GHz

Just wait and see....

nickmcghie

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
UCLA
FIRST POST!

$200 price drop sounds pretty good to me.. sound make the ibook a lot more competitive with the pc competition.. not that it already is ;)

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Gone but not forgotten.
The magic number is there: $999. If they can do it without removing equipment, that's great. Finding another retail-priced laptop at that price will be difficult. That number should move a lot of people who've wanted a laptop computer for a long time but found the price prohibitive.

Still, you can go to Sam's Club and buy an HP Athlon XP-based laptop for a couple hundred more.

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
Well, for those who are specting to buy a new powerbook with super drive in it, my sugestion is to wait at list 4 to 5 months (really I would wait no less than 6) to get one. Just because there is a new technology to install in such small space something so complex as a super drive. Usually the first revision is very close to a beta testing, so you may get a device that is not fully tested yet.

I would wait for a second revision with all the problems corrected. It is very risky to get the first revision.

Those are my 2 cents.

dethl

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2002
Austin, TX
wow...$200 price drop? i might be getting a new iBook sooner than I thought then....I really wish it was a G4 processor tho....

kfury

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2002
The Super Hokey Pokey

Superdrive in! Superdrive out! Superdrive in! Superdrive out!

Seems to me that if the conflicting reports are coming from 'knowledgable sources' then it's clear that superdriven TiBooks (superTiBooks) will be announced on wednesday, but that that particular BTO option won't ship for a month or two.

So many people are pooh poohing bluetooth, but putting bluetooth into the notebooks standard is the chicken, from whence the eggs will come, making bluetooth as cool in America as it is in Eurpoa.

Kevin Fox
Me, me, me! http://fury.com

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
this is getting way out of hand. i wonder, you people with rumor experience, does this wild flood of conflicting rumors a few days before the supposed fruition of the rumors make the Nov. 5 date more likely or less likely?

kfury

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2002
Originally posted by Shadowfax
this is getting way out of hand. i wonder, you people with rumor experience, does this wild flood of conflicting rumors a few days before the supposed fruition of the rumors make the Nov. 5 date more likely or less likely?
Completely circumstantial, but it's interesting to note the following:

Those fancy little iCal badges on Apple's home page, the ones that update every day to show the current date? Check this out:

http://www.apple.com/home/images/2002/11/112ical.gif: exists
http://www.apple.com/home/images/2002/11/113ical.gif: exists
http://www.apple.com/home/images/2002/11/114ical.gif: exists
http://www.apple.com/home/images/2002/11/115ical.gif: exists
http://www.apple.com/home/images/2002/11/116ical.gif: does not exist

Looks to me like there's enough new stuff coming on the 5th or 6th to knock iCal off the home page.

Kevin Fox

Me, me, me! http://fury.com

demonx

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2002
Interesting

Well I got impatinet waiting myself, so went to CompUSA today to buy an Ibook, got there and went to the mac section. Was ready to make the purchase on the 700mhz 12inhc model, and they told me there were out of stock on the Ibooks and Tibooks.

So hopefully thats a good thing;)

porovaara

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2002
sf
Originally posted by kfury

Those fancy little iCal badges on Apple's home page, the ones that update every day to show the current date? Check this out:
Please note that there are no images for any date after the 5th.

kfury

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2002
Originally posted by porovaara

Please note that there are no images for any date after the 5th.
Sorry, I thought I implied that in my post. the fifth is the last day for which there are dates. Hence my speculation that other news supercedes iCal on that day, and continues to supercede it after that day.

robguz

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2002
Not bad

I wonder if these will be software clockable to 900Mhz. I'm actually impressed with the 700Mhz models already. But who wants to buy a new computer and only have it meet the most minimal Quartz Extreme requirements? The 16MB Radeon needs to go, and anything less than 64MB on the Pro Ti is inexcusable. Let's hope the iBook gets at least 32MB and the Radeon 7500. I wish the new 700 model at least had a DVD drive. I have an external burner, but I won't buy a portable that can't play DVDs.
The other thing they need to do is make upgrading the hard drive much easier. It's pretty simple in a Ti, but apparently like performing brain surgery on an iBook. I can't see buying one until they fix this.

I hope they do have a 13" screen, but only if they go up to 1152x870 which is unlikely.

The price cut is nice, but long overdue. Hopefully this means the Ti will get price cuts too. $2500 for a 933 Ti with no Superdrive would still be extremely expensive. It's no wonder sales are so bad for the 800 Mhz $3200 model. I guess we'll all see soon.

zarathustra

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Philadelphia, PA
Originally posted by kfury

Sorry, I thought I implied that in my post. the fifth is the last day for which there are dates. Hence my speculation that other news supercedes iCal on that day, and continues to supercede it after that day.
Maybe, and maybe they just haven't made new ones yet. The poor web designers were not fed in a while and fell down the job.

Did they always have the iCal images until november 5th, or were they posted in a one week increment?

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
Maybe the 13" widescreen replaces the 14"...

... with the 12" staying as the low-end.

Those discounted prices are almost incredible. $999! And $1299 for the high end machine!! Astonishing.

Look at the used iBooks on eBay. The demand is intense, and it's driving prices up sky-high.

I sure hope that Apple has sufficient quantities on hand!

Gaz

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2002
London, UK
Originally posted by boom-boom
kfury, I would hate to put your idea out to pastures new but:

http://www.apple.com/euro/ical/images/day/7.gif

they just have the day from 1-31 and the months from 1-12.
Actually you're both right!

Apple.com has an image for the month & date, where the Euro site e.g. Apple.com/uk separates the images in to month and day.

It's pretty obvious something is coming due to the amount of hype around.

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
Damn...a 200 dollar price drop and 800Mhz?

I have enough in the bank right now to buy the baseline, and with a paycheck coming in, I'll have enough for the top-end.

Hopefully disk space will be adaquate. I'll want to turn any iBook I get into a mobile jukebox, ya see.. :D

And a beefier gfx card would not hurt either.

daRAT

macrumors regular
May 12, 2002
Kennebunk, Maine, USA
Re: kudos to kfury

Originally posted by DreaminDirector
damn, I would have never thought to look at the iCal images. Hats off to you kfury.
There is no 7th, 8th etc either :] I think probably they are made just so many days in advance.

Heh, I see others have beaten this to death :p Sorry

technocoy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2002
Raleigh, NC
the fact that there is

no 7th, 8th, etc. does not dismiss anything, it just means that the new (insert product here) will just be replacing ical for awhile it is the older of the announcements, maybe when the new products come, the new Ti takes the big image, and the speed bumped iBook (or new monitor) take the place of the smaller images....:)

technocoy