iBook Updates?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
German site, MacGadget.de is reporting that Apple will be introducing a revised iBook this Tuesday.

According to the site, the new iBook G4 revisions will offer the usual speed bumps as well as price reductions across the line.

Accuracy of this information is unknown. The iBook was last updated in April 2004.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
MrMacman said:
Yeah is this valid?

What do we know about this source?
not much. MacGadget hasn't really been a rumor source before. (as far as I can tell)

arn

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
How much can they bump the speed without tripping over the 1.33 GHz PowerBook? I can't see bumping the iBook without also bumping the PowerBook, just to maintain some speed difference between the lines.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Make it thinner

I wish there was an option to lose the CD-Drive and make it 2 pounds. I really don't use my CD drive, it's just extra weight. Make an option to have a super portable book. 5 pounds is too much. Apple can do better.

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
This would surprise me if this release is not accompanied with new PBs. I don't think the new chips are ready from Freescale yet, either dualcore or the ones that are pin compatible with the current motherboards, at least according to freescale. So if the processor is faster in the ibook w/o a updated processor in the pb, I would be surprised. Now if they want to upgrade the gpu and lower the price, then this I could see. Needs a core image compatible gpu anyway, at least IMHO. Oh well, we'll see :)

BornAgainMac said:
I wish there was an option to lose the CD-Drive and make it 2 pounds. I really don't use my CD drive, it's just extra weight. Make an option to have a super portable book. 5 pounds is too much. Apple can do better.
What, and have a repeat of that Sony micro-notebook where you had to buy an external optical drive to install or do recoveries? And then, when they run out of these mechanisms, then you've got a paperweight because you can't add or clean the system.

No thank you.

tutubibi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2003
localhost
G5 maybe :)

Seriously, I would expect some price drop on iBook and even on PowerBook before shopping season. As for spec upgrade, I don't see much room for iBook to move up without PowerBook upgrade as well.

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
arn said:
not much. MacGadget hasn't really been a rumor source before. (as far as I can tell)

arn
I think that if they are going ot update the iBooks and eMacs next Tuesday will be the day. Not just becuase of this rumor but because Educase starts on tuesday and iBook and eMac are edu focused machines. Plus, Apple has been annoucing updated/new products at smaller more focused events like these instead of great big Mac only events.

quagmire

macrumors 603
Apr 19, 2004
I remember the ibooks having a 466 Mhz G3 and the Powerbooks having a 400 Mhz G3 and the Powerbook kicked the ass out of the 466 Mhz G3 ibook. But, apple would have to keep like 1.25 Ghz all around to not kill the 12" Powerbook sales.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Macrumors said:
German site, MacGadget.de is reporting that Apple will be introducing a revised iBook this Tuesday.

According to the site, the new iBook G4 revisions will offer the usual speed bumps as well as price reductions across the line.

Accuracy of this information is unknown. The iBook was last updated in April 2004.

Well here's hoping its true... option for a 64 meg coreimage compatibly video card would make this a worthy upgrade...

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
I think this rumour stinks. iBooks will not be updated until PowerBooks are. I expect them to be released simultaneously. Unless that means we have new PBs next week too :D

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
johnnyjibbs said:
I think this rumour stinks. iBooks will not be updated until PowerBooks are. I expect them to be released simultaneously. Unless that means we have new PBs next week too :D
jibbs - I don't like the new tar, just being honest.

I believe this rumor, I think its a thrown together, what else we got, type response to the huge dead space created by the iMac g5's trouncing of the powerbook.

Let's see a hefty price drop too, come on apple... go for the kill.

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
Texas
The iBooks did go from "same day" shipping to 3-5 business days as of this morning at their online store. So something may well be up Apple's sleeve for next week.

belair

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2004
Luxland
oh boy! oh boy!
If they update the ibook the powerbook must be just around the corner. (dual core, G5, new Moto?)

Lowering the price would be a very profitable deciscioun I think. All those ipod fans will buy the lower models and once they see the apple do its magic they wil never go back to windowsland.

AoWolf

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
Daytona Beach
As long as it will play Wow, Thiner would be nice two. Although the because it is an Education product they might not want to change the Form factor...

dizastor

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2001
Los Angeles
Go ibook! I think the alu look of the iPod mini would rock. Seems possible since they let the iPod designers run rampant over the design of the new iMac.