Ibook w/Multi-Drive Purchase

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by smharmon, Mar 15, 2004.

  1. smharmon macrumors member

    Jan 26, 2004
    To get a more powerful portable, I just purchased an ibook from mcetech.com. It will be the 12in 800mhz g4 with a Superdrive (multi-drive, as it handles DVD+and- and has a 2x write speed. Way better than my powerbook. It will also come with a 60gig hd, and 640megs of ram and got the whole thing for 1399. If you are thinking about buying a refurb 12in Albook 867, you need to check out this deal. Better superdrive, better ram, better harddrive, same display, just get a dlink bluetooth adapter to use your wireless desktop with, and you are set! I will update this thread once the ibook arrives, and I have successfully burned a dvd.
    Note: The "Superdrive" DOES work with iDVD, and any other dvd app. Applecare is also NOT voided, as MCE is an authorized reseller/repair center for apple. The only thing is that applecare doesn't cover the upgraded drive.
    Oh, the only reason I am replacing my powerbook is because the fan keeps "rattling," and even with silent night, the fan runs all the time, even while just surfing and posting this (yes, I reset the pram 5 times after root install). Parts of the case are also separating (I get a full refund, so I got to rethink my purchase, and went ibook) I really like the ibooks, I feel a little more "different" then using the silver colored powerbooks, and I also don't like having a wireless mouse and keyboard, power adapter,and video dongles, that don't match the beautiful color of my computer, so to white I go!
  2. smharmon thread starter macrumors member

    Jan 26, 2004
    Mce just told me the ibooks were on backorder, and it would take 3 weeks. I cancelled the order.
    If you are thinking of buying, go with the refurb 867mhz SD powerbook at the apple store for 1299.
  3. slowtreme macrumors 6502

    May 27, 2003
    Tampa FL
    interesting pair of posts. Where you just unwilling to wait, or do you think that the MCE was not a good deal after all?
  4. smharmon thread starter macrumors member

    Jan 26, 2004
    Unwilling to wait! I hate stuff like that. They told me three days... oh well. It would be great for anyone to give a try though, but with the recent refurb price drops, it is a hard choice to make...

Share This Page